The State of Education

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Let me preface this by saying I have family members who are teachers. A couple of them are pretty smart. (One has a Master's degree in education but she's not the brightest bulb on the tree.) But in general, I respect teachers and know they have a hard job now that many parents are pretty much raising free range children with no manners or boundaries.

That said, it's things like this photo (from a nearby public school) that make me mad every time my property taxes get raised "for better education". NM ranks 49th in the country for education, despite spending more more student than many states. This sign has been up for over a month, so either they did it this way on purpose, or there's nobody at the school willing to correct it.

Parent Teacher 2 1024.jpg

Who is to do the con, the parent or the teacher? (not able to invert the "N" in parent as per your sign.)

An aside, when I entered the sophomore year was delighted that we would no long have to take spelling... only to find out that year the state of Texas instilled a requirement that schools would teach spelling through senior year.... I guess it took as I'm reasonably careful about my spelling and when reading something and run across a misspelled word, it becomes a full stop for me... it's like hitting a brick wall with my reading.

Let's face the reality of it. American education has gone down the sewer. And folks wonder why other countries have far surpassed us in sciences, etc. I've known a few teachers over the years. Some good, some not so good. I had to explain to one the difference between a tsunami and a hurricane! But, I guess we can harp on about it all day long. Somehow, someway real change needs to be effected, yet sadly I don't see it coming anytime soon. And, it would be nice if they actually started teaching what actually happened in history classes instead of the garbage they have been "educating" us with.

Let's face the reality of it. American education has gone down the sewer. And folks wonder why other countries have far surpassed us in sciences, etc. I've known a few teachers over the years. Some good, some not so good. I had to explain to one the difference between a tsunami and a hurricane! But, I guess we can harp on about it all day long. Somehow, someway real change needs to be effected, yet sadly I don't see it coming anytime soon. And, it would be nice if they actually started teaching what actually happened in history classes instead of the garbage they have been "educating" us with.
I agree, we need to teach history as it really happened, the good, the bad and the ugly.... and there has been a lot of ugly.
The same with removing statues that don't depict necessarily the good in our history, put up a plaque that tells the true story of the statue.
If we don't learn from history, we are destined to repeat it.

Don't get me started on public education. We should be ashamed and upset. I worked for a state University system the last 14 years of my career. During the recent past they had their funding cut drastically. They lost their minds for about 10 months and then everything settled down. They had discovered that they had to have a functional budget plan instead of their previous plan of . . .

UC-budget-plan.JPG

The waste in the education system can only be rivaled by the government. They receive funds and then setup a new department to manage them that eats 75% of the award. The millions in lottery dollars get consumed by so much more than schools (thier big sales pitch) that funds made up only 1% of school funding in Cali last year. Economies of scale fail in the face of fiefdoms at individual schools or universities. There is a way that we can all speak to this every few years if we bother to do a little research into who favors what. I could go on but I am already dancing up to the line of the terms of use :D :D :D