The Vault

Leo Voisine

This is in the beginning phase.

The artwork is provided by the customer in an Ai format. It required a fair amount of cleanup as it was created to make something else. There was a TON of lines that I was not going to use. I got it cleaned down to something I could work with. All of the artwork is 2D only. From that I started to create the 3D design.

The customer wants to replace the Greasy Luck sinage with the new name --- The Vault
I will be making the main sign as well as the 3 signs around the awning.

Sweet thing is that this customer also is a part owner in several other New Bedford businesses and has told me that he is going to need more sinage.

This is a restaurant and bar. They also have Dancing, Live Music. It is converted from a bank and the actual bank vault is still inside.

I will try to keep up with posting updates on this job.

IMG_20211014_085129014_HDR.jpgIMG_20211014_085148096_HDR.jpgIMG_20211014_090033099_HDR.jpgIMG_20211014_090629423_HDR.jpgIMG_20211014_090841971.jpgThe Vault Preview -1.jpgThe Vault Preview -2.jpgThe Vault Preview -3.jpg

There is/was a restaurant in Denver called "Brokers" that was an old bank and they too had the original vault. If you called enough ahead you could get a table in the vault. They would put a platter of peel and eat shrimp on the table as soon as you ordered your drinks while you looked at the menu. Great food. It looks like you made a great contact.

When I saw the vault door 3ds.on your firsts pics, I thought... Mmmmm it reads VAOLT instead of Vault, I'm glad that you pushed the door to the bottom of the "U", or was it originally like that? I would try to reduce the vault door outside diameter to the inner diameter of the U letter. Another possibility if they are open to changes, would be subtitute the elipse on the roght pic by the vault door becoming it the background of the words "the Vault".
Dunno... there are so many different possibilities to play with...

The artwork is supplied by the customer.

The first view of the larger vault door was the original vault door. That was the customer supplied Ai file. I sent the preview and the customer responded that all their menus, and all other stuff looked different, so I adjusted it.

At this point the customer is happy with the way it looks.

I am starting on The Vault sign build. This is going to take some time to complete, but we are past the holidays and I need to get this done by mid March.

I did all the design work to show the customer. He said GO.

Vault Awning build-0.jpg

New to Vectric in V11 we have Sheets. So I am starting on the 3 awning signs. I creates the sheets that are on the left side. Each sheet is different material, and sizes. Each sheet also has it's own programming.

Vault Awning build-1.jpg

One of the awnings is larger than the other two. I sized the two sized incrementally. It's all 3 dimensional so X - Y - and Z are kept proportional. The U with the vault door is the most complex part. This is a piece of HDU 24 inches wide by 10 inches tall and 1.500 inches thick. I am creating toolpath. The ONLY 3D toolpath is the center of the vault door, everything else is 2D.

On the left side is the layers I am using to seperate all the cuts I need to make. Layers are shared between all sheets so thee are layers not used on the U with door sheet.

On the right you can see the list of toolpaths. Most of the toolpathing is with a 1/4 long flute end mill. They will be merged to become one big toolpath. The only tool change will be for the 3D which will be a 1/8 Taper Ball nose mill. I am working on the programming - not done yet. I plan to be cutting this within the next few days.

Stay tuned - more to come

I don't know if anybody is interested in this stuff or not, but I will post for anyone that is interested.

I know it's not woodworking.

I finished the programming of the awnings "U" with vault door.
I will need to do some hand work but it's 90% there.

Of course there is the painting as well.

I will bake the bolts and epoxy them on separately.

I have 4 cutters in this
1 - 1/8 end mill - small door spokes
2 - 3/16 end mill - large door spokes (I could just use the 1/8")
3 - 1/8 Taper Ball nose mill
4 - 1/4 long end mill

Vault Awning build-2.jpg

I finished cutting out the "U" in Vault. This is not the main sign. This is the 3 Awnings. The one on the front is a little bigger at 144 inches long. The sides are 97 inches. In the video nothing is sped up.

Next is the VA LT and THE text. I am working on that programming right now with my 5 pound Pomeranian in my lap and Snoopy is playing with his toys.

Thank you Vaughn.

I have the rest of the text for the awning sign.

Looking at the sign in my first post above, this text goes inside the oval of THE VAULT with the "U" in the middle.
The HDU is 1" thick
I will be using 2 cutters
1/16 long end mill
3/16 long end mill

The remaining text will be done after this text, again in 1" HDU.

Vault Awning build-3.jpg

The toolpaths on the right side

The text is "merged" with Vectric, but I manually optimized to save 2" x 24" of HDU

There is/was a restaurant in Denver called "Brokers" that was an old bank and they too had the original vault. If you called enough ahead you could get a table in the vault. They would put a platter of peel and eat shrimp on the table as soon as you ordered your drinks while you looked at the menu. Great food. It looks like you made a great contact.
I ate there once while in Denver for a convention. Our butts had hardly hit the seats when they brought us a huge helping of the shrimp. Food and service were top notch. Best part, I was not responsible for the bill. My State Gov. picked it up. (I know, off topic. I don't remember the vault.)

That HDU sure does machine cleanly, I can see why you like it for this.

Looks like your dust collection is doing a bang up job of picking up the leavings. How bad is the HDU for clogging filters?

I think your little buddy is still trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe he things there's a mouse up there :D

Ryan, HDU is a sign makers choice of material. It does not swell shrink crack. It is unaffected be water, cold, hot, spray, sun or anything else. It takes paint as though it really really wants to be painted. I use Ben Moore Aura paint which is flexible. Doesn't crack or peal. HDU is GREAT to work with.

I plan to walk through the entire process to completion. I do not do installs, so I call finished when the sign is ready for delivery. After it's installed I will take pictures of it on the building.

HDU is dusty and granular, but not at all like MDF. It does make chips. It is very very light, so the DC picks it up very easily. I don't have a filter, just the bag on top of the DC that came with the H.F. unit. It is seen to the left when I start it up. No clogging.

HDU is dusty and granular, but not at all like MDF. It does make chips. It is very very light, so the DC picks it up very easily. I don't have a filter, just the bag on top of the DC that came with the H.F. unit. It is seen to the left when I start it up. No clogging.

Nice, yeah the MDF powder is a huge pain for the DC. I've only used it with the tablesaw and a bit with the router but it was bad.

I'm slightly surprised at how well the HF unit is keeping up, I suppose managing your cut rate and bit size makes a real difference there as far as keeping the volume manageable, plus you've got it placed real nice and close.