Thickness Planer - Need Reassurance

Yes I also looked at getting a Byrd head. Right now the lead time is 24 to 32 weeks. Byrd is also selling the DeWalt 735 with the Byrd head installed by them for the modest price of $1,595.
I have question Bill, when you say "modest price" are you being ironical or is it a true statement? I know that ww machines in US are cheaper than here, so I cannot compare, besides I know they do not sell the 735 here. They only sell hand held tools and tool boxes.

I have a jointer thicknesser, wouldn't that have been a choice for you? I know that you are into neander woodworking, but if space saving is a must, mine occupies about the same space as that Dewalt 735, or is it that they are not popular in US? I've noticed that most members of the family (if not all)b have separated jointer and thicknesser machines.

Last edited:
Yes Tony, I was being very sardonic. The price was not a good deal at all. They were taking advantage of their heads having a long lead time.

As for a combination jointer/thickness planer, that would be ideal. I agree woodworkers in the USA don't normally go that way and tend to buy separate machines. I think part of the reason is the price. The best ones are made in Europe and the price is a little more than people here are willing to shell out. The footprint of a combo machine is still larger than what I can accommodate right now. I can get by hand planing one side flat and then running it through the thickness planer. I am keeping my eye out for a small used combination machine, like a Robland with saw, jointer, planer and shaper (what you probably know as a spindle moulder) operations. This would be something I would use when I build a new shop and had more space.

Take care and Rebecca says hello!