Thin Strips

Kerry Burton

I recently participated in the Family Woodworking 2019 Christmas Gift Exchange. To make the gift I had in mind, I needed to rip several thin strips from a regulation 2"x4"x12"-sized board that all participants were to start with. To keep the strips fairly consistent, I decided to make a hopefully-helpful jig ... something like others I had seen online:

IMG_3025_ThinStripJig_InUse.jpg

The design is pretty straightforward, but I wanted to note a couple details. First, I did some grinding / sanding / polishing to remove the raised lettering from the end of the bolt at the "business end".

IMG_3027_ThinStripJig_BusinessEnd.jpg

Second, I finally broke in the zero clearance insert that I bought for my table saw some time ago. This allowed me to set the extension of the jig's bolt by direct measurement against the edge of the cut in the insert.
NOTE: Because I made the bolt head "crowned" instead of flat, I have to remember to measure from the tip of the "crown". I wonder if there's a way to get the bolt head reliably flat instead? (Hmmm ... maybe mount an abrasive disc in the table saw?)

IMG_3026_ThinStripJig_WithZeroClearanceInsert.jpg

One more NOTE: After using the jig (and the workpiece) to position the fence, the jig should be removed before actually making the cut, to prevent binding of the workpiece between the jig and the fence.

After ripping the needed strips, I saw that they all had saw blade marks which needed to be removed. (So precision in this jig wasn't as important as I originally thought. Better to get the strips consistently "in the ballpark" and then take them down to final thickness afterwards...)

The wood I was milling had fairly figured grain, so I didn't want to risk smoothing the thin strips with my low-budget hand planes.This led me to (finally) make another tool that I'd had in mind for years: a Lathe-mounted Thickness Sander.

Elph360HS_3011_ThicknessSanderInUse.jpg

Here is an upside-down view of the table part, with an inset runner that registers between the ways of the lathe bed. I should have made the smaller piece of plywood an inch or so longer. (More on that later...)

Elph360HS_3030_ThicknessSander_Table_UpsideDown.jpg

Here is the table flipped upright and mounted/clamped to the lathe bed, with the to-be-assembled parts that adjust the angle of the table.
NOTE: I wish I had used two hinges instead of one. The previous photo gives some idea of the "play" that is allowed by the single hinge.

Elph360HS_3031_ThicknessSander_Table_Mounted_FoldedOpen.jpg

After screwing the adjustment rod through the threaded insert and placing the upper table support on the end of the rod...

Elph360HS_3032_ThicknessSander_Table_SupportInPlace.jpg

... the upper board is pivoted into place, and the table is ready-to-go. The only "downer" is that the adjustment rod passes too close to the lathe motor housing. If I had made the lower piece of plywood an inch longer I could have had plenty of clearance.

Elph360HS_3033_ThicknessSander_Table_ReadyToGo.jpg

Now for the drum!

Instead of trying to turn a piece of wood into a perfect cylinder on my lathe, I opted to start with a length of 1.5" plastic pipe and add wooden end caps. I wanted each drum to be self-contained (by not requiring a separate chuck to hold it in place) so I tapped the cap for the headstock end to fit the threads on the lathe spindle.

Elph360HS_3034_ThicknessSander_Drum_PVCPipe_TappedBlock.jpg

The blank that the opposite end cap was turned from wasn't thick enough to provide a "lip" to push against the plastic tube, so I ended up putting a screw through the duct tape / sandpaper / plastic tube and into the end cap.
I opted to insert a bearing in this end cap, which is held in place with a hand-turned dead center in the tailstock. In retrospect, it may have been better to just leave a hole for my usual live center to register in.

Elph360HS_3035_ThicknessSander_Drum_InsertWithBearing.jpg

I considered a few different options for the sanding material, but my box of sanding strips from Woodcraft was the perfect choice. I don't plan to make drums with paper higher than 320 grit; I may even stop at 240 grit and call it good. For the gift I was making I used 150 grit paper in the thickness sander and then "hand" sanded up to 320 grit.

Elph360HS_3036_ThicknessSander_Drum_PossibleSandpaperSource.jpg

This unit is by no means "industrial" in nature, but it worked well enough to get me through my project. Whew!

another option for thin strips is to make a variation of a push stick that lays down Flatt on the saw table and has the selected size of notch your after or you can set your saw for the thickness your after and keep referencing against it till you get the number of strips your after and have a safe time doing it

another option for thin strips is to make a variation of a push stick that lays down Flatt on the saw table and has the selected size of notch your after or you can set your saw for the thickness your after and keep referencing against it till you get the number of strips your after and have a safe time doing it

Yeah, that's pretty much how I've done it, too.

I thought about the second option, but with some of the strips only being as thick as my thin kerf saw blade I "chickened out". I guess I could use a wide sacrificial push stick that contacts the fence and both parts of the workpiece? (Kinda like the Grrripper, but meant to be cut into?)

I have a set of Grrrrippers that work for down to 1/8" thickness. I cut a bit on the heavy side, then run them through my drum sander.

That's a groovy sander setup :thumb: It would work a lot better for some really small stuff than my bigger drum sander as well with a lot more control to boot!

It wouldn't be super hard to convert it into a sandflea style under-table-drum sander either, which would be real handy for some other project!

For most thin strip cutting like that I mostly use the bandsaw, but the tablesaw is more "stable" so having another option is nice as well. Clever jig.

I like your thin strip jig, Kerry. :thumb: I can see how that would make things very easy and consistent. I've been kind of spoiled with the Incra system on my tablesaw. I can consistently cut 1/16" strips that are all within a few thousandths of an inch of each other. (I cut hundreds of them back when I was making a lot of cutting boards.) I can see how your jig could speed up other operations though, too.

I also like your little drum sander. I sold my 18/36 drum sander when we moved, because I really didn't have space for it in the shop. I could see where a little one on the lathe would cover most of the ground I'd need. :thumb: