Thinking out loud - Large format 3 D printer

Don Baer

Staff member
Well I am planning on pulling the trigger around Christmas time and as usual I research things to death. I been wanting a 3 D printer for a while and like many on here have though about just pulling the trigger on one of the Chi-Tia $200 models but it appears that this mean also spending a lot of time and work to get a machine to where it is a working printer. The initial investment is only the tip of the iceberg so what starts out to be a $150-$200 initial investment can very quickly escalate into a $300-$400 investment by the time you add in the heated bed+solid state relay+enclosure for the electronics + auto leveling. Also I am wondering about the small print area on these smaller machines. Although I have no immediate plans as to what I will print I also don't want to say later "Gee I with I could print that... but it just to big". the 8"x 8"x 9 1/2" seems a little limiting. What want is something bigger but not big enough to break the bank.

The right now the machine that is catching my fancy is the Folger FT-6. .... https://www.3dprintersbay.com/folge...MIpYTdgJvY4wIVi_5kCh2-igLfEAQYBSABEgJ3yPD_BwE

The base price of $699 and for $120 additional I can get dual extruder, auto leveling and WiFi connectivity.
The unit is a fixed bed with a 110 VAC heater built in
Print format 28"x 13 3/4" x 15.7 should be more than adequate.
It runs Marlin software. I appear to come complete. The housing is even included to all the controllers etc.

So what am I missing ????
any other candidates in the less than $1000 category out there.

I don't mind spending a little more up front so down steam I won't ask my self why didn't I spend a little more

your input is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a while since I've looked at printers, that is a massive bed size.

Other costs would be the slicing software if you go with one that isnt free (Simplify3d) but cura has made improvements from what I hear. I've already taken the plunge, so wont be of much help in learning cura though.

I'll have to do more looking into that printer. The bed size would be an upgrade for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk