tHIS MAY BE THE BIGGEST BOWL i'VE TURNED TO DATE

Chuck Ellis

This is a chunk of Box Elder with some blame near the bottom and a little color in the pith on the sides.... the blank is one I got from my friend when he gave up his shop due to health concerns... he had several Box Elder blanks that i glomed on to.
The bowl is 11 3/4 inches diameter and 6 1/2 inches high at the rim... I didn't measure the depth, but should be about 6 inches deep... no idea of the volume.
It's finished with my version of Yorkshire Grit with a couple of coats of Old Master's sanding sealer then 4 coats of wipe on polyurethane.

I'm going to offer it on consignment to a shop in Gatlinberg that has just opened on the Artist's Loop there ... if he does well there my have a regular outlet for some of my bowls... he said he also wants some pepper mills, but I'm low on them for my Saturday market... need to hustle up and get more done...
103893 (2).jpg103893 (3).jpg103893 (5).jpg103893 (7).jpg103893 (8).jpg103893 (9).jpg

Nice figure, good form, and super shiny! Has a good chance at a decent sell I'd say.

IMHO deep is a LOT harder than wide, 6" is getting into "exciting" territory IMHO with regular equipment but definitely doable with good form and some patience.

Why am I craving popcorn??

giphy.gif