This was meant to be a mock-up but...

Yes, this was meant t be a mock up to check proportions, angles and measures of this meditation bench also called "seiza bench". It is commonly used by westerners that cannot sit crosslegged comfortably.
As I say it satarted as a mock-up but I got carried away and it ended being a finished project. I even used it to brush up my letter carving technique, which I have neglegted for too long and I carved the OM word on it.
The wood is Embero or M'bero (Lovoa brownii Sprague, Lovoa trichilioides Harms Syn) I had some scraps laying around and I wanted to give them a better use.
The finish is tung oil applied with a cloth.
No pics of the process, I'm sorry to say, but as I plan to make another one a bit bigger, changing the foot (which I do not like)it is my intention to even make a video of that one.
Comments critics and suggestions are welcome as always.
IMG_6475.JPGIMG_6477.JPGIMG_6476.JPG

Unique nice looking bench Toni! I guess I don’t understand the base, is it meant to rock? Nice to see a project from you, it’s been a while 🙂

I really like the design of this, Toni. It just seems to flow. Thanks for posting the photos. It's been too long since we've seen some of your work.

Really beautiful wood and carving! Not sure sitting on this is any more comfortable than sitting cross-legged though. At least not for me.

Unique nice looking bench Toni! I guess I don’t understand the base, is it meant to rock? Nice to see a project from you, it’s been a while 🙂
It's beautiful work and really interesting but like Tom I don't have any idea how it is used.
Really beautiful wood and carving! Not sure sitting on this is any more comfortable than sitting cross-legged though. At least not for me.
This bench is used kneeling down and sitting on it, in this way you release pressure from your knees and your legs don't go numb as they would if you just sat on your heels as japanese people do. (See pic)
th.jpg2.jpg
Although it is described as a meditation bench, it has been well known and used by nuns and monks in convents and monasterys to be able to kneel down for hours praying, hence for the same token is used for meditation.
The typical shape and easy to make is the one on the second pic. I wanted to give it a twist and came up with this design. As you can see it stands tilted at the proper angle, it is not meant to rock. I made it that way so that you could use it without having to check wether it was placed in the right direction or not. The angle facilitates to maintain you back and spine straight.
The flanges on the sides are to facilitate grabing it from both sides to place it in your buttocks, and/or to take it once you've finished your prayer or meditation.
Most of the ones you can find on the web are rather crude and ugly looking and many are copies of existing designs so I couldn't help to try to dignify it a bit.

I'm glad that you posted a photo of it in use, because I had no idea how it would be used, until I saw this photo.
It looks very nice, and would be very handy for people who spend considerable time in that position. Since my knee replacements, I can no longer do that, and if I should end up on the floor for any reason, I have to climb back up via a chair, door knop, etc. or lay there until someone comes by to help. It's H... to get old, but I don't like the alternative. Getting old is definitely Not for sissies.

Charley