This will be a challenge......

Today I gave the painting a new canvas backing and filled the holes with canvas and did a cleaning. The painting was coated with a thin linseed oil the last time it was repaired and I cannot remove that coating without removing some paint. I decided it's not worth the risk to do a deep cleaning. I'll finish up the in-painting over the weekend.

Attachments

• 20210226_142301.jpg
    20210226_142301.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 19
When I see Dave post a thread twith the word challenge in it I know it's going to be something unusual. You know from my previous comments that I am convinced Dave has some small elements of 'magic' in his toolbox and in his skills. Hat's-off on another wonderful recovery of something many would not consider saveable. Excellent work.

The finish as it was started bugging me I could get it off. So I went in the back and found an old chemical I used for fire damaged work, Low and behold the old finish came off like in the commercial for tarn-x.
"Don't use Tarn-X lol it was a very quick process and neutralized quickly. It wasn't a paint eatting chemical but still need a quick neutralizing agent.