Timberking 1220

For most of my life, my relationship with my dad was somewhat strained. He was a great father and we were never in need of anything. He came up in hard times and had high expectations of everyone around him. That is not necessarily a bad thing, although many times I failed to live up to those expectations. After my mother died in 1995 that relationship (and his relationship with nearly everyone else) went sour. In fact we did not speak for about ten years. He had a close shave with the grim reaper in 2005 or so and I went to see him in the hospital. It was a turning point. We began to find some common ground and in about 2008 or so, he bought a Timberking 1220. That saw became a father/son instrument of bonding. I would gather downed, dead, dry mesquite logs at the ranch and take them up to his place to mill them. We spent a lot of hours milling lots of logs into lumber and timbers. He made some nice furniture from some of it and I made some passable pieces from some more. Toward the end of his life we found more common ground and truly became friends. The strain was gone.

He died on the last day of 2015 and that saw and a lot of other things sat idle. I got my shop built this year and started setting up a woodshop. Last Saturday I went and got the Timberking and began knocking 6 years of rust and dirt dobber nests out of it. A big box from Timberking arrived on Wednesday and a new lubrication reservoir and roller bearings were all that needed immediate replacement. After servicing, and a bit of sea foam, the Kohler engine ran like a top.I got a drive belt and wheel belts just to be on the safe side. This morning I cut a few planks from a green pecan log I had on hand. That's all I cut today. It was enough to do today. All day long the memories of those ten good years and the hours of running that saw with my dad, kept going through my mind.

A lot of folks don't really understand that these things we have are much more than just tools and equipment. They are "Time Machines"...

Alan71EE5356-30E9-4F62-A8F1-40447DFB91B7_1_105_c.jpegD6101EE4-13ED-4CA2-9494-345AF9319919_1_105_c.jpeg

I have three sons. One of them is an aspiring woodworker and is building a collection of his own tools. The youngest may have some inclinations as well. The oldest one has his own tree trimming and removal business and has been waiting patiently for me to get this saw running so he can start dropping off logs. They'll all be down this weekend and I'm sure we'll make some sawdust.

Alan

Great story Alan, and it's great to see that a third generation will also benefit from everything the Timberking has to offer.