Tool conundrum

Don Baer

Staff member
Over 50+ years I have accumulated a lot of stuff that I felt "some day I might... (use these, need this get around too..pick one)" and part of this stash that I am culling out is these two boxes of miscellaneous drill bits that need sharpening. Now I don't own a drill bit sharener and I could go out and buy one but that would be one more thing on the shelf that I won't really use a lot so the question is what do I do with these treasures...

1) buy the drill sharpener ..
2) chuck the old bits they are just paper weights. And spend the money to buy a nice new drill index.
3) put em back on the shelf because you just might... (use these, need this get around too..pick one).

on a side note I have a nice collection of brad point and forstner and spade bits also.

Attachments

• 20200126_160446.jpg
    20200126_160446.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 11
4. practice hand sharpening bits on the bench grinder. Not really as hard as it looks (mine aren't perfect but mostly work).

Depending on their age and provenance they could be pretty decent steel.... or not.. if so then likely worth keeping, if not then not. Maybe take a file to them and see if it skates or not.

4. practice hand sharpening bits on the bench grinder. Not really as hard as it looks (mine aren't perfect but mostly work).

Depending on their age and provenance they could be pretty decent steel.... or not.. if so then likely worth keeping, if not then not. Maybe take a file to them and see if it skates or not.
That's what I do now when I need one but it's kinda a PIA.

Like you, I've got a big box of drill bits my dad gave to me. Many of them are machinist sizes, so I've never gone through to make an organizer for them, but I do have a drill sharpener and did sharpen most of them. That said, 95% of the time I go to the box that is common sizes and organized. When I've bought taps, Usually the bit comes with them, and I usually keep those stored together, so the machinist bits only get used when I need a smaller size for a pilot hole or a hole that is close enough in size.

I went the direction of buying a Drill Doctor several years ago when I caught it on a markdown. Don't remember where I got it. I've used it a fair amount, but I've also picked up a couple of drill indexes at HF along the way.