Totally NON-Stick

Thanks Bill. We have a local dairy. I am SURE I can get good buttermilk.

I would have just gone to store, but now I will certainly go to the dairy.

I am certainly going to be making more cornbread. The Jiffy mix it good, but I am sure your recipe will TOP that.

I would have just gone to store, but now I will certainly go to the dairy.

ooor and hear me out here because this might initially seem crazy. But you could get some heavy cream from them and make some butter saving the buttermilk.

First off I know the response is "Ryan.. you're crazy.." and sure I get that a lot... but there are some fun reasons to make your own butter.

First up it can taste better, did you know that you can make butter have EVEN MORE butter flavor by culturing it? True, the bacteria produce diacetyl which has an intense buttery flavor (notable off flavor in beer, derided as artificial in movie theater popcorn, but with a wee bit introduced in butter.. delicious). The slightly tangy note is also excellent.

Second it's not actually that hard, especially with a stand mixer.

Third.. ok I don't have a real third reason other than "why not, it's fun :cool:)

This is a pretty decent guide here:

The key is that the culture MUST be mesophilic, that is works at low temperatures. They suggest mesophilic yogurt, but we've had great luck with "active culture sour cream" as a source culture because basically *all* sour cream is cultured with mesophilic bacteria whereas most yogurt is thermophilic (likes heat). The tablespoon/cup is about right.

Inline simplified recipe:
  • 2C heavy cream
  • 2tbsp active culture sour cream
Warm to room temperature (70-75F), add a bit of cream to the sour cream in stages until it's a thinner slurry then combine, leave at 70-75F for 12-24hrs.

Mix vigorously just below the speed where it splashes in a stand mixer or by hand.

Press out all of the buttermilk, knead on a board to really try to get all of it out. Put in a bowl of cool/cold water and knead it some more to really really get the final residue out. Smear out on a board and add salt to taste and lightly knead to integrate.

You can also use the same "culture" to make cultured buttermilk from whole or 2% milk (same process, just use milk instead of cream) which imho works even better than butter buttermilk because it has more butterfat still in it.. and you know what we say about butter fat!! Yum!

Hoooeeee - we are on a roll.

But wait there's more!

You'll likely have extra buttermilk (as much as we love buttermilk pancakes and buttermilk biscuits and buttermilk cornbread and ...) it's nice to switch it up sometimes and make something .. ok well.. fair enough.. it's very similar.. but still dang tasty. A good batch of irish soda bread!

I've never tried the powder buttermilk... may have to try some.... I like drinking butter milk.... hold over from my youth/sharecropper days. We used the cream skimmed off raw milk or if the milk clabbered, sometimes used that in our churn.... somehow it seemed to always fall to me to sit and do the churn while my older sister did other things... usually took half hour to 45 minutes to get butter... at 10 years old that was an eternity. After I moved in my grandma last couple years of high school, still got stuck with the churning, but he had a gallon jug with paddles operated by a crank... or else I would have to sit and shake a jar until we got butter.... you know the pioneers crossing the plains would hang a bucket on the back of the wagon as they moved across the plains... by end of day they had butter.
Mom would take the butter and work water through it to wash out most of the milk and she sometimes salted the butter at the same time.
I think the heavy cream you buy has been pasturized... doesn't make good butter.

We’ve got an old wood fired stove sitting in the kitchen. I opened the oven the other day and found one of those corn shaped cornbread cast pans along with the pie shaped ones, both somewhat rusty, so I cleaned them up and seasoned them. My wife’s grandpa eats cornbread every day, in a cup of milk. My wife’s been baking them in cupcake cups. I’ll have to take some tips and recipes from here and try them out.

One other note on cornbread, is if you can figure a way to do it fresh ground cornmeal is just a whole nother level of tasty. Even with pretty old whole kernel corn you get a much "fresher" corn taste. I feel the same way about polenta. I hand grind mine which is a fair bit of work but for southern "coarse ground" it ain't to bad.. if I'm in the doghouse I'll triple grind some to make some fine meal for northern style cake cornbread for the boss who prefers that.