Tractor carry-all

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been looking at various ROPS rack attachments, the artililan bar attachments (https://www.artillian.com/product/rops-bar-mount-tool-rack/) and the ultimate bigtoolrack for yard tool, chain saw, and various storage/hauling needs around the farm on the tractor.

I can’t see my self spending the $2199 for the big tool rack. The rops bar setup is nice, but with shipping it got expensive. So looking at doing a diy carry all using the base unit from tractor supply…

I’ve found a few builds on YouTube, and getting lots of ideas for the project.

Darren, I was looking to show you a manufactured one that is ingenious and well thought out. In doing so ran across it in another video and here it is:

This is what caught my eye about it initially. Don't know what they cost, but someone has put some thought into it:

I have one of those TS carry alls, and it has been handy. Can't say that I've built any kind of rack, but i did bolt a pieceof plywood to the arms and back and use it as a platform. Sometimes things have to be secured so I use ratchet straps or even screw wooden blocks to the floor. I was unware of that thing called the big tool rack. What I'd really like is something on the tractor more like a small tool box, but that's alluded me so far.

Darren, I was looking to show you a manufactured one that is ingenious and well thought out.
They do look well thought out and designed. They are about $2200 though. Maybe some day, but not in the budget right now.

I have one of those TS carry alls, and it has been handy. Can't say that I've built any kind of rack, but i did bolt a pieceof plywood to the arms and back and use it as a platform. Sometimes things have to be secured so I use ratchet straps or even screw wooden blocks to the floor. I was unware of that thing called the big tool rack. What I'd really like is something on the tractor more like a small tool box, but that's alluded me so far.
Take a look at the artillian link above for their ROPS bar and tool box attachment. I didn’t think the prices were too bad, but shipping tacked on another $150 - $200 for all I was looking at. I may still end up buying one, but I can do a lot with a welder and plasma cutter once I have them out of storage to make my own.

My JD does have a plastic one on the fender, but doesn’t hold more than a few pins and a large wrench

Those ROPS mounted racks are interesting, but I couldn't figure out one thing....how easy is it to remove them? I witch my backhoe on/off several times a year and I have to have the ROPs open to use it. I wouldn't want to add to the joy by having to unbolt and remove those racks each time. It looks like theres some mounting pad on the ROPS, and the other stuff easily fastens as needed (?).

Those ROPS mounted racks are interesting, but I couldn't figure out one thing....how easy is it to remove them? I witch my backhoe on/off several times a year and I have to have the ROPs open to use it. I wouldn't want to add to the joy by having to unbolt and remove those racks each time. It looks like theres some mounting pad on the ROPS, and the other stuff easily fastens as needed (?).
The attachments to the bars are just a cam lock to remove them. There is a quick detach for the bar itself, which wasn't too much more to remove it easily.

Edit: Here is the quick release upgrade kit, but if ordering new, you can order the bar with the quick release too.

Last edited:
I ran into the "city" today to get a few things/supplies from the borg I can't get locally, and a picked up a new hotspot plan. I took a detour and picked up the carry-all from Tractor Supply. I didn't get any lumber yet for it. I was going to try and lay it out in sketchup first, but wanted the unit to do actual measurements on first.

Thanks Darren, I'm putting the Artillian racks on my shopping list. Probably wait until after Christmas to order one. I think that will provide what I need.

Finally got a drawing into sketchup of the carry-all and started adding to it (virtually).
Carry-All-TSC 1.jpg
I played around with various board sizes for the deck, but will just get some 2 x 12's and slim them down as needed, seemed to work best for the pre-drilled bolt holes on the carry-all. I'll probably add the folding sides I've seen in other designs and I have some of the slide together brackets like Ted used on his trailer for a tailgate. I'll add strip or two of etrack also. for hooks and tie-downs.

Carry-All-TSC 2.jpg
The rear will have a couple of pocket loops for 2x4's or wider tools to go into. Probably will do some pvc for tool handles to slide into. May do an upper shelf for a gas can and box for chains. Also planning for a chainsaw scabbard on it as well.

Still playing around with options, but this one in theory would work. I had a full shelf across the top, but then shortened it to allow a chain saw/scabbard and some taller items on the other half to stick up. The shelf is for a gas can and, wedges, chains, etc.
Carry-All-TSC 1.jpg Carry-All-TSC 2.jpg

Maybe a bit of a lip on the front of the platform as well to keep things from sliding off? Wouldn't need to be much I don't think.

I'd be tempted to make the shelf full width but add in two partitions (left, right, center) that would make it easier to set things back into it from whatever side you were on and have them stay there plus.. more space more better... and you could also use the partitions do separate things like bar oil cans from gloves which can be nice.

Finally got time to work on the carry all. I ended up making it only 4’ wide to keep it less than the width of the tractor.
D1B1A030-5A84-43C7-8303-CDA3B8356FCF.jpeg 1445173D-1C83-47BA-A3B0-A3C96E746F5C.jpeg

I started adding the brackets and etrack , but needed smaller lag bolts for the etrack
BBD4DE07-7641-4ADE-A13C-E331F6B4EBCC.jpeg70431D06-F53D-4F62-B140-D7A9C81866CC.jpeg

I used some plywood for a saw scabbard
F303FFC5-06EB-43C2-87DC-1CAF60B7E30B.jpeg

My helpers were found out sun bathing in the trailer.
7F6E6C05-2B47-411E-A445-E27D0BF36EE7.jpeg

Last edited: