Tractor carry-all

Seriously beefy plate, is that a carbide hole saw or just HSS? Seems to have cut a really nice clean hole anyway!

The motor is smaller than I'd imagined?
Bimetal carbide, like8% colbalt, I had to do a lot of peck drilling once the teeth could not clear themselves, but cut well and was like $8.

The motor is a bit larger than I was planning to get, has around 4000lbs of.torque, but low rpm’s…

Last edited:
I got the counter sink bits and bolts, so bored the holes and got the motor mounted to the plate for a test fit.
A0C9FF13-BA19-49BE-A38F-C6EE9BF32A2D.jpeg BB9904C4-6DD9-466C-8CC7-0659B83F331E.jpeg D4AEB37E-6B61-47AF-ACEC-63987B2C0811.jpeg

I’ve been thinking about putting a layer of HDPE under the pulley in case it try’s to shift closer to the motor and mounting plate. I don’t think the motor will get that hot or the pulley moving fast enough to melt anything.

Next up is welding, but probably will finish up the greenhouse assembly first to clear up my floor space in the garage.

For speed control, a valve in the line returning to the tractor will control the speed and not the torque. I've worked on a lot of hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and used capstans on Navy ships and tugs, but I think I would get a big Harbor Freight winch for this job. A Wireless push button control would be of great benefit for what you intend to do. A capstan will keep you attending to the capstan and rope tension and not near what is being moved. I think it would be better to be closer to what is being moved, so problems can be seen and adjusted for.

Charley

I finally got the plate welded on today. Only can of paint I had was orange, which I had bout to mark some paths with.
843462E6-0106-49A1-BA5F-A8CEEEB19B13.jpeg 2B765FB3-D8E2-41F7-AF47-836F0105BC23.jpeg A4204249-2D99-4807-91D3-76648373C91C.jpeg

I ended up moving the chainsaw scabbard to the front. It’s thin enough it’s out of the way there.
7A5A9182-36BF-4834-BF57-59204DDA6423.jpeg

I gave it a try over at the barn pulling some old posts over and out of the ground, worked quite well

I still need to 3d print a box for the switch and mount it.

I finally got the plate welded on today. Only can of paint I had was orange, which I had bout to mark some paths with.
View attachment 121112 View attachment 121113 View attachment 121115

I ended up moving the chainsaw scabbard to the front. It’s thin enough it’s out of the way there.
View attachment 121114

I gave it a try over at the barn pulling some old posts over and out of the ground, worked quite well

I still need to 3d print a box for the switch and mount it.
That’s a well thought out implement and will be very useful around the farm. You’ll probably get in the habit of the tool carrier being the permanent place for certain tools like your chains and rigging, then they’ll always be right there when you need them.

So when I set up the control for the hydraulic winch, I changed out the #1 spools switch from a momentary switch to an on/off/on switch for the hydraulic motor to run in either direction constantly.

We’ll after accidentally turning that switch on getting on/off the tractor a few dozen times, I’ve decided this was a bad idea.

Today I put the old momentary switch back in, but I installed a 3 pin plug which also ties to 3 contacts on the switch.
AC86802B-415B-4B2A-98B2-D5917126D61D.jpegD1E198E1-739F-438C-BBD5-7C05AB78A18B.jpeg

This allows me to plug in a remote switch to use when needed.

So when I set up the control for the hydraulic winch, I changed out the #1 spools switch from a momentary switch to an on/off/on switch for the hydraulic motor to run in either direction constantly.

We’ll after accidentally turning that switch on getting on/off the tractor a few dozen times, I’ve decided this was a bad idea.

Today I put the old momentary switch back in, but I installed a 3 pin plug which also ties to 3 contacts on the switch.
View attachment 122161View attachment 122162

This allows me to plug in a remote switch to use when needed.
That’s a good and safer solution. Do you have a convenient place to store the remote?

Will your SMV be covered up by the load on the carry all? If so, it could be put on the vertical 2x4 so it is higher? The only problem then is if you hit it with your head or shoulder they can cut you quickly.

Will your SMV be covered up by the load on the carry all? If so, it could be put on the vertical 2x4 so it is higher? The only problem then is if you hit it with your head or shoulder they can cut you quickly.
This one is plastic. I may move it up and attach it on the storage box, it would be rare I'd be off the property anyway with a load on it.

So as someone mentioned about this type of winch, the rope was tending to wrap back over itself. I think I’ve solved this by removing the bottom roller on the cable guide. It was holding the rope up too high and the capstan pulley has a slight taper to push the rope downward. I screwed a piece of cutting board material in its place to get the rope aligned with the bottom of the roller. Prior to this I’d only get the log moved about a foot before it started overlapping and have to reverse it.
E6F55DEA-9F0C-44D4-8C69-AA0BDEAFA115.jpeg

It’s working like it should now. This wasn’t a very heavy limb, but heavy enough I couldn’t drag it by hand.