Tree is gone

william watts

A neighbors city tree was removed because roots were growing into his sewer line. This was an ash tree and really big. The city crew worked unbelievably fast. They dropped, cut up, and loaded this in less than 1 hour. They did not limb it, just dropped it accurately in the street. Gone and it's no more.

IMG_0428.jpg

I talked with the crew they were saying that they are removing up to 10 tress a day. Most due to stress from our water shortage, but not this one. I ask about obtaining wood for milling, but no the they don't do that, they chip them up. :cry:

It's a shame the wood can't be milled. Must be liability or disease issues.

I agree, and I'm betting it's the liability risk. Our society has become so litigious, a city (or any other entity with deep pockets) has to be very cautious about things like that. My wife worked for a law firm for 23 years that represents State Farm insurance, and it was amazing (sad, really) what some people will file lawsuits about.

it was amazing (sad, really) what some people will file lawsuits about.

Mumble mumble subrogation mumble mumble (the mumbles clearly elucidate my lack of detailed knowledge ;) ).. its as often as not the insurance companies not the people themselves although the person is usually listed as a claimant in the suit.

It is a shame though. On the plus side it looks like the trunk split in the middle and might have been a bit rotten in the center anyway... I choose to believe that because its comforting :D

Darren, yes the city does give the chips to use for mulch and ground cover. The chips are big, maybe 3-5 inches long and 1 in. length. There is also compost available, made from the leaf pick up. There's a small charge for that. I don't know why they won't give wood for milling, likely it is liability.

Bill

The tree is gone
The tree is gone away
The tree is gone sadly
The tree is gone away
You know you done it wrong city
And you'll be sorry someday

The tree is gone
It's gone away from me
The tree is gone sadly
The tree is gone away from me
Although, I'll still live on
But so lonely I'll be

The tree is gone
It's gone away for good
The tree is gone sadly
It's gone away for good
Someday the the wood will be in my shed maybe
Just like I know a good tree should

You know wood's free, free now baby
wood's free for a spell
Oh wood's free, free, free now
Wood's free for a spell
And now that it's all over
All I can do is wish it well

Feel free so sing along..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buP4ZjXjOgA

This is something that happens often enough around our house that loml doesn't even roll her eyes anymore.. She was somewhat less than impressed earlier when I started singing:
"On a plate of meat loaf baby
don't you know that I luh-uv you hooo!"
to inagaddadavida (we're having meat loaf for dinner).

This was followed by a rousing rendition of:
"My meatloaf lies over the ocean
My meatloaf lies over the seeeaaa
My meatloaf lies over the the ocean
so bring back
bring back
bring back my meatloaf to me
to meeeee"

If you can get those out of your head you're a stronger person than I am :D

Vaughn, you're welcome to use these at your next show but when they become gold hits I want songwriters credits :rofl:

...its as often as not the insurance companies not the people themselves although the person is usually listed as a claimant in the suit...

Yeppers, it can be the insurance companies trying to recoup their costs after covering medical or property damage claims. In the case of my wife's former employer, I think they were strictly defense counsel for the insurance company and their customers. They worked to protect the company from frivolous or outrageous claims. (Like the guy who slipped on a sidewalk in front of a house -- on city right-of-way -- then sued, claiming a dog barked at him from inside the house, which startled him and made him slip and fall.)

I don't live in a city environment, but out in the country. I do have to deal with the county on occasion. I saw county road cleanup crews cutting down some trees, and I offered to come and get them as it was good working wood for turning. They said they couldn't do that. Not wanting to take no for an answer, I went and talked to the county commissioner, explained what I wanted the wood for, and that I was willing to come and get it. He said for liability purposes, the county could not allow me to be around where a crew was working. BUT, if I accidentally happened along and told the supervisor what I wanted and where I wanted the wood to go, it would accidentally appear on my property as long as I didn't expect them to bring it more than 50' inside my gate. NO PROBLEM!!! Not sure what the 50' limit was all about, but I got some nice bodark, red oak, and pecan out of the deal. Even a bit of cedar elm. I guess it all depends on where you are and so on. I hate wood being wasted like the next person.

My business insurance was a wonderful thing. I had a frivolous lawsuit against me. Told the insurance company it was without merit, tell them to go pound sand. Instead, despite me being the principal named in the lawsuit, my insurance gave a "token payment" with me objecting all the time then raised my rates because I had a loss!

Another time, another business, three brand new tires and the rims were stolen off of a one ton truck in my fenced and locked yard at my mechanic shop. The insurance asked me if the keys were in the truck despite the fact that the spare tire and outside duals were outside the truck! I told them I didn't notice, the engine wasn't in the truck at the time, then confirmed the keys were hanging on my office wall. They verified my lot was fenced and the gate locked and proclaimed me not to be liable. I told them that it was a good customer and I would have to pay. I also told them that I was filing suit for all insurance payments I had made in the past when my insurance wasn't valid, removing my fence, and leaving the keys in all vehicles so my insurance would be valid in the future! There were a few more phone calls and the insurance sent me a check for the full loss.

Strikes me I could write a book about my dealings with insurance companies over the years if I could keep it funny. Took me awhile to figure out what one claims agent was doing, thought it was a strange affliction. The guy was a foot shorter than me and trying to tilt his head far enough back to literally look down his nose at me. I had heard the expression, first time I can recall somebody trying to do it. He would have drowned had it rained!

About trees, a contractor for a power company came wanting permission to trim a long dead tree in my parking lot of a business I had recently bought. "Sure, trim it flush to the ground."

"We can't do that."

"You can't trim it then, some people would think I was the moron that trimmed a dead tree!"

They eventually saw the merit of my argument, cut it low enough to park over the stump. It wasn't a big tree anyway, twelve or fourteen inches.

Hu