Tried and True Wood Stain

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Working through my 40th or so test for finishing these cherry G&G pieces and doing A LOT of Googling. The customer has sent me a couple of photos of items he would like me to get 'close' to in color. I have explained to him that the factory finish he is looking at has most all of its color in a sprayed on top coat and it is not the true color of the wood coming through and that this is done to give the cherry an aged look right off the finishing line. He understands that the cherry will darken considerably over the years. Fortunately he is willing to work with me on this but would still like me to add some color so the pieces don't look too out of place while they are aging.

Here are the color samples provided. Nice color, but the wood is hidden behind it IMHO.
COlor 1.jpgcolor 2.jpg

I've tried various oils, gel stains, wiping stains, shellacs, dyes all diluted and mixed together in a dozen or more combinations. I get kind of close, but I'm not quite there yet. The deep color seems unattainable if you want to avoid blotching.

I found a discussion group talking about this issue and one member swears by Tried and True Cherry stain. Never used the product myself. Have any of you? Care to share your experience?

Try using a dilute solution of Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) on the raw wood. It'll darken the cherry instantly. Varying the dilution will vary the intensity of the darkening.

BE AWARE THAT LYE IS A DANGEROUS CHEMICAL. USE GLOVES, LONG SLEEVES, AND ABOVE ALL, A FACE MASK!

Try Monarch stains. You can blend them together to make just what you need and some of them will build with each application to make it darker. I used to use these on clue Racks that were made to match C.L.Bailey pool tables. I used soft maple to make them and then had to stain them to look like aged cherry. Cant remember which product it was and it got pitched when I sold the farm

I somewhat agree with Jim on using lye, it would instantly age the wood and give the look you want, probably, most likely. Also agree, can be dangerous if not taking the precautions. ;)

This one?

How did you apply it? No blotching issues?
YES - that one.

General finishes has more pigment than most stains I have used. Don't let is dry before wiiping off excess.

A customer asked for it some years ago and I liked it.

I have never had blotching issues on Cherry. Pine yes, Cherry no. I don't use any sealer and I do not wash before stain, just sand, then stain.

YES - that one.

General finishes has more pigment than most stains I have used. Don't let is dry before wiiping off excess.

A customer asked for it some years ago and I liked it.

I have never had blotching issues on Cherry. Pine yes, Cherry no. I don't use any sealer and I do not wash before stain, just sand, then stain.
Thanks. I'll get a can and give it a try!