Upcoming kitchen remodel project.

John Pollman

I've been thinking a lot about my upcoming kitchen remodel project. I'm looking forward to building the cabinets and such. It's going to be very enjoyable. Celeste has been immersed in kitchen design magazines for days.
1f642.png

Earlier today, she brought up using live edge lumber for the island. I love that idea. I know of several places that I can get it from, but decided to do some more research, Then I had a WOAH moment. I have two HUGE wild cherry trees in the backyard that are mature and really need to come down.

I did some more research and found a guy who's only about 65 miles from me and he has a mobile sawmill and bobcat. He sells live edge slabs too. I'm going to contact him and see if we can work something out. It would take years to naturally dry a 1-1/2 to 2" slab. But if I could find a kiln service, it would make it doable.
This is very early on in the process, but there's a good chance that my new island countertop may be made from one of the two trees pictured below, They are growing in my backyard. How cool would that be?!!!

Cherry 1.jpg

Cherry 2.jpg