Urn project

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working on a design for a double urn, for holding the boxes for my wife's grandparents. Either the back or bottom will be removable and it will be large enough to hold both boxes of ashes inside. The front will have a picture frame for a photo of them, then their names and information engraved on each side.
DoubleUrn.png

I'm just wondering if I should incorporate anything for holding document or other identifying information, such as in a memory tube like some caskets have?

The names will be carved on the cnc. and maybe do some embellishments as well above the names.

Nice looking design. If he names and dates will be carved in I see the tube as unnecessary. If it will just be names as shown the tube could hold other significant info of interest.

Have you thought about where their final resting place will be? Columbariums are available for doubles but you might check for size restrictions. My widow friend has her husbands ashes, but no plans for their final resting place and no family to care for them. Probably end up in a dumpster somewhere. :eek: I recently saw a box urn that had a tray under the lid for keepsakes. Nice simple design with a chance for adding memorabilia as it is found/remembered.

Never heard of a tube, but I generally do not do funerals. That is me.
If docs are going to be put in,use a vacuum sealer, for the docs. A small pocket built in ..to hold.
YMMV

Have you thought about where their final resting place will be? Columbariums are available for doubles but you might check for size restrictions. My widow friend has her husbands ashes, but no plans for their final resting place and no family to care for them. Probably end up in a dumpster somewhere. :eek: I recently saw a box urn that had a tray under the lid for keepsakes. Nice simple design with a chance for adding memorabilia as it is found/remembered.
Probably on my wife's aunts shelf or here at the farm for now. We were going to get a tree to plant for them and some of the ashes may go in the ground with the tree. We may eventually bury it here on the farm, but will get a headstone if that is the case and setup a nice place for it to be visited.

A design suggestion if I may, if it is going to be at home, what about making each urn in a different and contrasting wood colour, with a third different one for the encompassing frame? Somewhat suggesting the colours used in weddings, as the bride wears white and the groom black or dark, or whatever colour they liked or describes their character. After all they were two different persons, with different personalities who decided lo live together forever after, under the marriage sacrament which would be symbolised by the encompassing frame.
Or if you feel that three different woods doesn't work, I would play with different compositions for instance both urns in light and same wood, and the frame in a dark one or viceversa

Kind of in a scramble to get this project going. It’s been waiting on my wife’s family to sign off. I also had a hard time finding any barn wood that didn’t need to be treated for powder post beetles. Why I did end up using was some lumber from the little house tear down, Douglas fir.

The concept, there will be some details added to the top and bottom yet
489CF634-A195-414A-BF5E-6A3FAEC3D68E.jpeg

The glass and picture will slip into the rectangle slot from the bottom, as will the boxes of ashes. The last name “HIGGINS” will be on the picture frame
DD73FA16-6BDA-468A-BD14-083426D0CBD2.jpeg
6E71C23F-D4D1-403D-BF66-B36DDFD8B1BE.jpeg
FA72311A-C323-4426-92F1-06F2E6514920.jpeg

The corners will be large finger joints, about 3” wide each.

I’ll seal the wood and color fill the text and sand to make it pop.

Got the top and bottom milled, chamfered the top and bottom, and got it glued up today. Sanded tonight and just got the first coat of clear coat on. Will sand when it’s dry, rinse and repeat.
6450444B-78A4-4A06-B5EC-7CA17ECCD8DB.jpeg 2C84E21B-E409-41D0-A8BC-9470BBDCA3D2.jpeg
81A2C5CE-D021-4F5D-9292-59031E3FC497.jpeg

Also got the glass cut and picked up the pictures from Walmart today. Will finish up tomorrow morning if all goes well place their boxes inside after gathering a few to plant under a tree we plan to plant tomorrow.

Very nice urn Darren. Who becomes keeper of this urn now and in the future. My brother was cremated and had ashes and polmyzired in round white stones. Each of the family has a few in rememberance. Also they have been taken to his favorite hunting grounds and vacations spots around the world.
David