Use of MDO in painted cabinet

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I'm building a couple of vanity cabinets for a customer. They've chosen a shaker style inset door/drawer configuration. These will be painted - sprayed, likely Target lacquer of some form.

My question pertains to the inset panel. The frames will be hard maple. Construction will be groove and stub tenon. The frame is 3/4" and my plan was to use 1/2" MDO for the panel because it takes paint well and can handle the humid environment.

Opinions?
Door front detail.jpg

Actually, my supplier recommended, and I have ordered, a product they call "platform". It is a wood veneer core with 1/16" MDF veneer. Good screw holding capabilities because of the wood core, super flat and smooth paintable surface. At $47 a 4 x 8x 1/2" sheet it seems reasonably priced to.

It's Medium Density Overlay. It's used a lot by highway departments, and others, for outdoor signs It's essentially exterior grade plywood with a rosin paper coating on it.
I used to use it when I was making "A" frames for sign companies because once it is painted with a high gloss sign it makes the perfect background for sticking the printed vinyl.

The MDO I've used wasn't truly dead flat across the surface, it have some minor waves that really stood out when painted for cabinets. I think the stuff you ordered will be much more smooth. (That said, I do like the MDO.) I've seen MDF covered ply, but never solid wood core....I wonder if that will have the normal wood movement (?).

The MDO I've used wasn't truly dead flat across the surface, it have some minor waves that really stood out when painted for cabinets. I think the stuff you ordered will be much more smooth. (That said, I do like the MDO.) I've seen MDF covered ply, but never solid wood core....I wonder if that will have the normal wood movement (?).
I should have been more specific - sorry. The "platform" material has a wood veneer core.