Using Ipe or Cumaru hardwood for outdoor furniture? Adirondack chairs

Ryan Reyes

I was thinking about using Cumaru or Ipe decking wood to build some Adirondack chairs. I'm sure the chairs would be durable enough to last a lifetime. It seems like a good idea since the decking material is readily available.

I am surprised that I don't see more post about using Brazilian hardwood decking for outdoor furniture. Am I missing something? Is this a bad idea?

If anyone has any experience building furniture (or specifically Adirondack chairs) with these hardwoods, I would appreciate any advice that you have. (design considerations? finish suggestions?)

I only found one post from 2008 on this topic https://familywoodworking.org/forum...king-is-it-usable-for-outdoor-furniture.9498/

Ryan, Welcome aboard. Glad you found us. Only limited experience with Ipe here. Years ago I used a few 5/4" deck boards found at my local hardwood supplier to build a small table, and as the rockers on a doll cradle, for my grand kids It was not terribly difficult to work with using carbide bits/saw blades and pre-drilling screw holes. Finished the pieces with wipe on poly. They were heavy and took a lot of abuse.

I met a fellow a couple of years back that was installing a walkway near a pier in NYC... he was using Jatoba for the deck/walkway. Got a few cut-offs from him and a a couple of pepper mills...

I also used some beeswing IPE a while back.... think it was one of the woods that breaks me out.... check the toxicity of it if you use it... IPE is hard and makes some beautiful turnings, but I've become sensitive to the dust, I think.

I used black locust 6 or 7 years ago to make 2 adirondack chairs for a friend. I'm pretty sure I also used it for a cross for my grandsons grave.
I remember that it was very hard and had the reputation of being one of the best for in ground use. The white oak I used for my mothers grave lasted more than 20 years.

Ive made chairs and tables out of ipe....I posted about it, I think you saw the thread.

it got alot easier for me as I worked with ipe further down the line.....not as scary or discouraging as the first time.

it all blends in these days. I think it was ok to work with...dont think I had much problems.....at least that I couldnt figure out and solve.

I do remember purchasing alot of ipe from a place called advantage lumber in buffalo NY, a 450 mile drive for me...I was up visiting my daugher and niece at college....Id just wear a respirator all the time while cutting and long sleeves.