Vectric 10.5 upgrade

Thanks for the heads-up, Leo.

I just upgraded.

If there's one disappointing thing about Vectric, it's that they refuse to incorporate user-defined folders in their software. That feature was normal in much less-sophisticated software more than 20 years ago.

I don't understand that.

I have a structure of folders that I store all my project and customers in.
In fact, all my data is on a server separate from from my computer.

Do you mean to install the software in a different folder than the Vectric created folder?
If so, why would there be any value in that? Just curious, not judging you.

Having the install go to the same place every time would be nice, but the import of previous clip art and models works fine. Just have to remember to update my short-cuts and uninstall the old version when I'm done using it. I can see the benefit of having multiple versions still, just in case a bug gets introduced into a new version, you can fall back.

... I have a structure of folders that I store all my project and customers in.
In fact, all my data is on a server separate from from my computer.
I use a folder structure to divide projects by type, etc., also. I use Dropbox for insurance.

Do you mean to install the software in a different folder than the Vectric created folder?
If so, why would there be any value in that? Just curious, not judging you.
It's not the software install, it's user folders I've asked about. Something like SketchUp and a million others do:

Screenshot 2020-07-07 18.54.52.png

When I inquired of Vectric about this they basically said it's not going to happen. I brought it up on their forum as well as via email.

I am considering purchasing V Carve Desktop to expand what I do on my CNC. Is there anything I should be aware of ? or is there other programs I should be looking at.

I am considering purchasing V Carve Desktop to expand what I do on my CNC. Is there anything I should be aware of ? or is there other programs I should be looking at.
Have you looked at Fusion 360. Id your a small business/hobbiest/student there is no charge for the full license. I have done a few demos of it in the software part of the forum. very very powerful and easy to use.

Mione,
If you do decide to learn Fusion 360 there are a lot of good tutorials out there. This is one that will get you started on the right foot. This guy uses it for 3D printing but what he show you applies to whatever you decide to use Fusion for. There are others out there but this is a good place to start.

ps sorry for high jacking your thread Leo...

Don - I am OK with it.

I have been a CAD and CAM user for many years mostly in the machining profession. I've used a lot of both.

There are 2 camps that I am aware of. Mechanical and artistic. F360 is mechanical for the most part, and Vectric is artistic for the most part. Even though each CAN do "some" of the other, the focused stuff is what they do best. Vectric being the artistic package fits really well into the 3D BAS relief world.

Both packages have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Both are very strong and very useful.

Mione

Some REALLY nice things about Vectric Products is that you CAN start small and work your way up. It's not free, but for what you get it is well worth the price. Upgrade cost is only the difference between what you HAD to upgrade to what you want to upgrade to.

Learning is still a bit of a curve, but what you learn on the lowest version will be exactly the same on the higher version. The only difference is that you still have what you had in the lower version, but the upgrade adds more functionally. In other words, to make a line in Cut2D is the same as to make a line in Aspire.

The support and customer support from Vectric is by FAR the best customer service and support of any company I have ever worked with.

If you decide to try it - you can download a trial version free. The only limitation is that posting code will be limited to a few free samples. There are also some free projects you can try that you can post code and cut on your machine. There are TONS of free and very excellent tutorials to help you learn. The user forum is EXCELLENT.

I am retired and make a verity of things on the CNC. Toy trucks, gears, parts for the pipe organs, mechanical toys, kaleidoscopes, wood clock movements. I work mostly with cherry and Baltic Plywood.

I combine the wood shop - laser engraver - CNC for my projects

You can see my organs on youtube - in youtube do a search for edmh1037 to get to my videos