Very Bad Day-plus fix

larry merlau

am in the middle of making the sewing cabinet after having some long delays. Everything seems to be taking 2 or 3 times as long as i thought. so yesterday i got the doors ready to drill for hinges and setup the drill press for them. once i got them marked i checked the line up and loosened the stop to check it.. well i liked the center spot, so put the biggest door up to drill.. as i was drilling i had feeling something was wrong but put off the feeling and continued to drill and then i felt it go threw!!!!!! the world turned blue and i lost it.. to much stress in the last 3 weeks all came out.. went in house and told Randi. well after some deep breaths i came up with a fix and asked her idea of it.. she said yu dont have anything to loose. so we did it.. so this is what i did to fix it. trace around hole on scrap maple, cut to fit and resewed to half thickness to eliminate some of the sanding. then attach hinge to keep the plug up to height and glued well with tape on hinge. then as the glue had 30 mins to setup i removed the hinge to see the glue squeeze out and to let dry from both sides. all went well and i sanded and filled with primer today.. as of now no witness marks on door.. thank goodness its a painted door
bad hole-1.jpg make plug-2.jpg plug fit-3.jpg glued plug-4.jpg fixed-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When your gut tells you those things, ya gotta listen, step away for a few minutes and think it through again to be sure, right? Nah! I never listen to my gut either. Makes us really good at fixing mistakes. You did a good job fixing this one as long as it doesn't telegraph through the finish over time.

Well bud, I thought you had another wall hanger in your office:hide: glad you found good fix. If you need a fix, got a fridge full of fixer uppers that can help😁, I am getting thirsty 👍

A terrible feeling, an expected reaction (for me anyway) and a great fix. The highs and lows we can hit in the shop are pretty amazing. Glad you got it licked.