Wall Cabinet

So I made a thing, a Handtool School Wall cabinet thing. This is one of the class projects in The Handtool School. Started Jan 1 and completed it a few days ago.

I made just the middle section, as I am getting used to working out of the traveling tool chest on its raised base. This will be used for my molding planes, other specialty planes and assorted over fill.

I call it “The Old Kentucky Mule Cabinet”. If memory serves correct Jose, a guy I have taken a few classes with, and I designed it over a few mules one evening after a class at Lost Art Press.

I worked up all the boards by machine and then the rest was completed by hand. It’s all pretty much the same as The Handtool School's project. The one major change I made was the lower shelf and the upper are fixed with through tenons, like we did in the plate rack class. I added sawtooth shelf standards in the middle for the one adjustable shelf. Also added a 3/16 bead on the removable part of the french cleat system. Figured you would always see the joint, so I made it a detail. I used drawer slips to hold the drawer bottoms too.

Material is Popular for the main wood and Quarter Sawn Sycamore for drawer fronts and door panels. The inside is painted Honeysuckle and the outside is Peacock, both from The Real Milk Paint company. All the hardware is from Horton Brasses. Sycamore is finished in Amber shellac and the back panel is in Garnet shellac.

IMG_20200421_181750.jpg

IMG_20200402_133359.jpg

IMG_20200427_200659.jpg

IMG_20200420_151655.jpg

beautiful stuff steve. the color is a great choice. guess the knee is letting up a bit...glad to see you back in shop

Yep, 6 months and a economy slowing virus later, knee is getting better all the time now. The only, and I mean only, good thing the virus has brought is a slow down at work. We are still going in every day, but the 12 hours have basically stopped. Swelling has slowed down and movement is better.

I love the hardware too. Where did you get that hardware Steve ?

Raj, those are from Horton Brasses. Main Website Look for RP-5. These are actually RP-6, RP-5 and RP-4. Problem is they are very limited stock right now. I talked to them while back, and was told their supplier has stopped making them. They do have another vendor lined up, but new stock is about 6 weeks out. I actually have two projects needing these, so I wait.

Here is a link to a new type they have developed with a blacksmith in Tennessee. Forged hardware I have no experience with these, but I'm sure the quality is outstanding

Raj, those are from Horton Brasses. Main Website Look for RP-5. These are actually RP-6, RP-5 and RP-4. Problem is they are very limited stock right now. I talked to them while back, and was told their supplier has stopped making them. They do have another vendor lined up, but new stock is about 6 weeks out. I actually have two projects needing these, so I wait.

Here is a link to a new type they have developed with a blacksmith in Tennessee. Forged hardware I have no experience with these, but I'm sure the quality is outstanding
Thanks Steve. Appreciate it.