Wall Mounted Quilt Rack

glenn bradley

A friend's sister does quilting. We talked about a rack back when I didn't have the shop finished and I completely forgot. Time to catch up.
Got the required specs from her and got approval on design number 4.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (0).jpg
As always wood selection comes first. Like many materials, cherry comes in a variety of colors and figures. I found a couple of similar looking boards that will yield the parts.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (1).jpg
Rough blanks.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (2).jpg
I milled to thickness and general size. The shape of the end brackets will let me cut around some pitch pockets in these blanks.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (3).jpg
I rough the shape out at the bandsaw. Clean it up a bit with some rasps and cut the bottom of the rail notch like you would dovetail waste.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (4).jpg
This gets me here.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (5).jpg
I have done a lot of Greene and Greene stuff. During that journey I picked up one of these double round overs. I find the 1/8" and 3/16" radius cutters handle most of what I need.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (6).jpg
The bit comes with a variety of washer/spacers that allow setting for your material thickness.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (7).jpg
I use a bit of scrap to set the height and keep the leftover washers in a bag that fits in the tackle box cubby assigned to this bit.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (8).jpg
The purpose of the bit is to allow you to round both sides at once while always routing down hill. If you've seen much G&G style stuff you get why this is helpful. At any rate, I end up here. If you've ever wondered what you would do with a parrot vise, this is one thing. A little hand work and I end up here.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (10).jpg
More to come.

allen levine

I've made several quilt holders
Always use cherry but no where as fancy as yours
I keep the template for the walls so I can put one together if I want to make a quick project
Your design is much nicer but above my skill level

I believe I took a picture of Amish made hangers and just copied

Attachments

• D9C38AAB-C03C-480D-A90B-B45437362433.jpeg
    D9C38AAB-C03C-480D-A90B-B45437362433.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 13
  • BF6890F2-3C67-4C6B-A976-34DD0107897A.jpeg
    BF6890F2-3C67-4C6B-A976-34DD0107897A.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 13

glenn bradley

Nice ones Allen. Yours are essentially the same and seeing your work I do not believe mine are above your skill level at all. I just had a few "gotta haves" from the client. I did make a hardboard template for the side/bar supports so I too can make others more quickly in the future. It is getting this thing shipped to Arizona that will be the stumbling block if anything.

Here's a dry fit shot, still in the rough.

Quilt Wall Rack 1 (11).jpg

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Great looking project, Glenn!

When I saw your post, it reminded me of the first project I ever made with something besides inexpensive pine: a wall mounted quilt hanger. As soon as I started milling cherry rather than pine, I never went back!

Attachments

• Shaker-01b.jpg
    Shaker-01b.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Shaker-01c.jpg
    Shaker-01c.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 8

glenn bradley

When doing long fair curves I find it best to bandsaw and rasp one, then use that to make a template, and do the other end using this template.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (12).jpg
I happen to have a domino. Otherwise I wold probably have done this as a stopped groove with a spline.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (13).jpg
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (14).jpg
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (15).jpg
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (16).jpg
I had to make a couple hundred mile drive this morning so I am done early for the day. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Don Baer

Staff member
this post reminds me of when LOML and I were still fairly newly weds. and LOML came out to my shop and asked me if I could make her a quilt rack and I said sure, what's a quilt rack. So after researching it I found several examples. Most of them had room for 3 quilts. I showed em to her and she said yes BUT she wanted one with 5 bars and a Drawer so I took the dimensions off of one and drew up my idea and she loved it. That was close to 40 years ago. It sits in my bedroom with about 8 quilts pilled on it.

Frank Fusco

Nicely done. Quilt making and display is a far more popular avocation than many realize. These are good seller. There used to be a guy who made and sold many in the area. I never got into it because I felt our market was not big enough for two of us.

glenn bradley

I will use a domino at the junction of the bracket and the top. This is more to prevent twisting than anything else.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (17).jpg
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (18).jpg
I mark the layout on tape to make clean up easier. I clamp a scrap to act as a stop for the middle-o-the-panel mortise.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (19).jpg
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (20).jpg
And she fits together like so; although still upside down :).
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (21).jpg
And now a PSA break . . . remember to unplug your tools before changing or handling cutters please.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (22).jpg
I will use mechanical hangers and fasteners. The hanger mounting screws will go through the back and well into the brackets that support the weight of the payload.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (23).jpg
cont'd . . .

glenn bradley

You can see here why I left the rod as a rough blank.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (31).jpg

This lets me mark right off the piece.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (32).jpg

I settled on a 3/8" deep notch in the rail
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (33).jpg

I then knock the sharp edges off at the router table.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (34).jpg

Quilt Wall Rack 1 (35).jpg

A little hand work and I am ready to start applying finish.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (36).jpg

One coat.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (37).jpg

Two coats.
Quilt Wall Rack 1 (38).jpg

Probably one more and then a paste wax.

Last edited:

glenn bradley

My original design included piercings on the top trim. I moved away from this but now feel the look is too plain. I will add some ebony accents.

Don Baer

Staff member
My original design included piercings on the top trim. I moved away from this but now feel the look is too plain. I will add some ebony accents.
I think I would have routed a 1/2 grove on the shelf about 1/4 was from the back for a plate grove, I have seen that done before. I know it late for that but if you ever do it again, JMHO.

glenn bradley

I think I would have routed a 1/2 grove on the shelf about 1/4 was from the back for a plate grove, I have seen that done before. I know it late for that but if you ever do it again, JMHO.
I asked about a plate groove. No interest from this client. Definitely something to include in a generic "for sale" item though. (y)