Wall panel/art

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My wife saw this (the top piece in the pic) at the craft store the other day and was considering getting it, but they were asking $90 for it. :eek:
2020-09-04 16.00.34-1.jpg

She talked herself out of it, then got home and found a coupon for 40% off, so went back the next day to get it. Lucky for me, it was already gone, so I offered to try and make one on the cnc, I went out and found a few panel designs and she picked one out of a batch of them.

I had started it a few days back and found the ply I was using had some bad glue or voids that were causing some of the top layers of the ply to chip away on smaller details. So I stopped the job and decided I'd try some other plywood, but after remembering that it was going to be painted and I had some detail passes yet to make, I let the machine resume hogging out the larger parts. I then filled in the missing areas with wood filler, a few times to build them up.
2020-09-13 16.45.14.jpg

After it dried I started the detail passes and let the machine clean up and re-shape the missing parts.
2020-09-13 21.51.47.jpg

I still have some sanding and a few small areas that need filled, but hopefully will be able to start the white wash process this week.
2020-09-13 22.25.37.jpg

The finished size will be 30" x 30". She's already picked out a couple more she wants done for another wall and room.

Since you're painting it, what about using MDF? It paints well, and wouldn't delaminate like the plywood.
The originals look good (after the repairs) too.
I did consider that, but she wants the wood grain to show through, so I'll be watering down the paint to wash it. I do plan to seal it with a sanding sealer first too.

I agree - MDF. It does paint well and is very well suited for that sort of thing. With a little effort, of sealing, priming and sanding you can get a superb finish on MDF. Just a point also, Exteira is an exterior grade of MDF. Get it at the sign store. Outside wall art!

I use pine when I want a rustic look like on my scallop shell.

The laser on Baltic Birch then painted flat black makes some really nice stuff too.

I did a white wash with some thinned paint today, it looked good (whe n pic was taken), but once dried has a bit of just a pickled look.
20201010_171814.jpg
Tomorrow ill try it again with less or no thinning to color fill the carving more.