walnut finishing opinion

after watching the video, all i can say, is that for me, i still prefer boiled linseed oil to bring out the color and grain of walnut, then 2-3 coats of clear shellac. i prefer shellac to poly, as it has been a go-to finish for hundreds of years, easily repairable, and does not yellow like poly over time. also, it does not have a plasticky feel when cured. adding walnut coloring to a coating on walnut?

Interesting video.. thanks for sharing!

Not sure if he has good intel on his water based products. If I remember correctly, general finishes products, especially Enduro Var, have proprietary sealers. Don't apply them over shellac! This may be the case with other water based brands. Always call your finishing product companies and ask questions!

That said, I do love shellac as a sealer for poly or a stand alone finish. However, I pretty much only use spray finishes these days, (industrial finishes). Two part finishes that are spray only, and of course lacquer. I am very pleased with how they look on walnut.

Most of my customers don't have a budget to pay for a hand applied, rubbed out finish. :)

Interesting video.. thanks for sharing!

Not sure if he has good intel on his water based products. If I remember correctly, general finishes products, especially Enduro Var, have proprietary sealers. Don't apply them over shellac! This may be the case with other water based brands. Always call your finishing product companies and ask questions!

That said, I do love shellac as a sealer for poly or a stand alone finish. However, I pretty much only use spray finishes these days, (industrial finishes). Two part finishes that are spray only, and of course lacquer. I am very pleased with how they look on walnut.

Most of my customers don't have a budget to pay for a hand applied, rubbed out finish. :)
I just looked into it. Evidently Enduro Var 2 can be applied over shellac, but not the original Enduro Var. Shows you how long it's been since I used a General Finishes product.

For the past couple years, my preference has bee EM800cv. I prefer the gloss version. That way I can sand or scuff it to whatever sheen level I want. 1000 Mirlon®, with a coat of wax gives a nice semi-gloss.

it was just someone's opinion. sorry it offended or wasn't what the masters preferred. it had been asked what finish was liked for walnut by a poster earlier and i thought perhaps this might work for some.

it was just someone's opinion. sorry it offended or wasn't what the masters preferred. it had been asked what finish was liked for walnut by a poster earlier and i thought perhaps this might work for some.
I watched the video. Also, I've used three of the four products in the video - along with several others. I pretty much agree with the video's results. I do spray most of my finishes, and it was noted in the video that the brush marks were there, but the products were intended for spraying. I was kinda surprised at how well all of them brushed on.

BTW, I've been using waterborne finishes almost exclusively for about 7~8 years now, and have been quite satisfied with the results.

Hopefully finishing discussions are not an area where people get offended. 🙂 I think everyone has their go-to that they're comfortable with. I really enjoy learning about different finishing techniques.

It was a pretty good video, especially since more and more the industry is trying to move toward water based finishes. Thanks for the link!

If you really want to use a stain on walnut the best is water soluble dye stains. Then seal with sanding sealer and cost with Camble pre-cat. Little bit more prep work but we'll worth it.