Walnut Natural Edge Bowls

I thought the folks here might enjoy seeing these two bowls - they are both from the same crotch - the first division at the top of a black walnut tree. These were custom turned for the owner of the tree and I delivered them last Thursday. This was the hardest black walnut I have ever encountered.

Attachments

• P4190031.JPG
    P4190031.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 24
  • P4190032.JPG
    P4190032.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 25
  • P4190033.JPG
    P4190033.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 23
  • P4190034.JPG
    P4190034.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 25
Wow, nice work Tony!

I've got a walnut trunk waiting for the sawmill that has a similar growth, with two piths that merged like that. I certainly hope it's got some figure like that.

Very nicely done, Tony! :clap: You got a great finish on them. What did you use? Also, what are the approximate dimensions?

Thanks for all the kind comments. "Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while."

Answers to questions:

The wood was quite fresh when I received it. The tree was cut down in November 2021 so the bark had a natural tendency to stay stuck to the wood. I rough turned them in December, and then sanded them out in March and began to apply the finish.

I use Minwax wipe-on poly for these types of turnings, I use an eye dropper and let the bark soak up as much of the WOP as it will.

The bowls are probably 14 inches across at thier maximum width/length. I don't think I ever put a measuring tape on them. :unsure: