WANTED - Cherry Log for Artprize Competition

There is a local, but international, art competition being held here in Grand Rapids, MI. It's called the Artprize, cuz the entrant with the most votes gets $250,000!!! Anywho, I am wanting to enter a piece this year, as they love having local artists and artisans participate, and the exposure would be great.

SO, for what I am wanting to tackle I need a cherry log 16"-20" diameter, 7'-8' long, preferably with about a 4" curve along its length, and still holding it's bark or still standing. Also, any locust, pin oak, and maybe even red cedar will also work.

Thanks all!!

Hutch

to get a locust or red cedar around here that big is gonna be tuff ,,hutch:eek: and the cherry is doable but could get pricey..you could go south of me and look threw there lot and see if any would work and talk with them and they might be able to find you one..they just got a batch of cherry in the other day..its about 2 miles south of me..

Ooh...

That sounds like a pretty good option Larry. If I have time later this week I will have to drop you a PM to see about taking a trip to do some log huntin'. THANKS!

Hutch

Man I'm sitting here looking at TWO of those logs you're describing! Well pretty close. They're pretty much dead straight. The other thing is that they're still standing. I hate to lose them but they're mature trees and I'd really like to get them taken down because they're growing in my back yard and I live in a sub division right behind the high school. We get a lot of kids that walk from the sub behind us through my yard to get to the school. I don't think the trees are diseased but just mature and nearing the end of their lives. They're starting to drop limbs now and then and I'm just scared about what would happen if they hit somebody.

Now that I think of it, there's a section almost exactly as you describe that has a nice little bit of a bend to it. But it's up just above the first crotch. My only issue at this point is getting the tree(s) down on the ground. Things are pretty tight but if I could reasonably get the thing on the ground, you could have that chunk of log!

I'm in Rochester Hills which is about twenty miles north of Detroit. I live about five miles directly east of The Palace of Auburn Hills and the old Pontiac Silverdome. If this is something you think might work let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

John

Matt,
here are some pics of the Cherry trees I was talking about.

4486202873_f944fea93c_o.jpg

4486854672_6d77288db6_o.jpg

4486203103_7d0004d5ed_o.jpg

I was just out there looking at them and to take the pics. I don't think it would cost all that much if I could just have a tree company come out and "top it" I could get the rest of it down. I have the saws I'd need to do it, I just don't climb. I've got a 28" Husqvarna that would make short work of the log. We could cut it anywhere you'd like.

The one issue is that the tree with the log I think you could use is about twenty feet from some power lines. But the good news is that it has a favorable lean AWAY from them. ;) If I could get a service to just knock off the upper portion of the tree, I could safely get the rest of it on the ground. Then you could choose the section that would work best for you.

Think about it and let me know if you're interested.

John

Last edited:
NICE!

Hey, that tree looks perfect!!! So yes, I am absolutely interested. If that curved section right above the crotch were able to be dropped after being trimmed above the next crotch, that would be awesome. Also, if you didn't have any purpose in mind for other parts of the tree, I would be interested in taking more of it as well.

But in any case, that's a perfect match, so if you're able to get it down within 7 weeks I'm there! Hopefully the pith isn't split too much. Now I just have to buy a trailer with a winch. :D

Thanks John!!

Hutch

P.S. Oh, just out of curiosity, what is the width at the base of the main trunk and also the curved section above the first crotch?

Hi Matt,

I just measured the base and it's actually 25" diameter at about 3' up from the ground. That first crotch is 13' up and yes, the curved sections are above the first crotch. It's too high up to accurately measure but I've got to believe that those lowest curved sections are at least 16-18" in diameter.

I don't really have any plans for the rest of the tree so you can take a look at it. If I can get the bulk of it on the ground we can cut it up however you'd like.

Things are pretty tight for me right now but let me make a few calls this week and get some prices on getting it topped. I don't think it should cost that much. If I can get someone with a bucket truck back there they could top them both and I can drop them from there. They don't even need to take any brush so that will make it a bit cheaper.

I'll send you a PM with my number and you can give me a call and talk about it. Glad to see that it would work for you. I'd love to see it put to good use and not just cut up for firewood.

John