We have been adopted!

Good possibility he was raised on a bottle somewhere and then turned loose when he got to big. I know it is neat, but intact male animals should always be handled/treated with care and caution as they are predictably unpredictable. Daytime behavior of a usually nocturnal animal is a good sign of rabies. I don't want to be the mood killer here, but please be careful.
Jon, rabies in deer is extremely rare, but even rarer would be that this buck was bottle fed and then released. This is not the kind of area that would do that. We are in the migration path of mule deer. I think this is a case of a buck that got injured and could not navigate the deep snow. He had no choice but to remain near our home. He can hardly harm me as I could never get near him. If we open a door, he is gone. I do appreciate your concern and understand it was made to make sure I didn't come to any harm.

Just an update: Since most of the snow is melted, Chester has reverted back to normal behavior. We hardly see him any more and he beds down elsewhere. I think he only comes around at night for the salt lick and the last of the alfalfa pellets. He no longer needs my support as his leg is much better and food is now becoming plentiful. I have no intention of feeding deer in the future as this was a special case. A healthy deer should be able to survive the winters around here. The winters generally kill off the weak and very young. Something about this deer led me to help him.

I don't regret it and have enjoyed his antics.