We have been adopted!

So, just curious what kind of deer is that. Looks like what we in Washington call "Mule Deer", and we have a sub-species of Mule Deer called "Black Tail". there are "white tail", and there is I think an island deer the smallest deer in our state. This deer looks like a "Mule Deer" to me.
I am no expert Paul but I think it's a mule deer also.

Just an update. He is still here and shows no inclination to leaving. He is quite comfortable seeing us moving around inside the house. Right now I am sitting only 10 feet away from him as I type this. He is laying on the ground, chewing his cud while staring at me through the low window on my left. It use to seem surreal to us but now it is just commonplace. He has a steady routine of hanging around to about 9am and then doing a walkabout for food, returning in late afternoon when he settles down for the day. I got up and took this picture earlier this morning from another window.

View attachment 123845
Well, that's just great. :rolleyes: Now my wife wants her own deer. Thanks a lot, Bill. :rofl:

And I'll say with 99% certainty that's a mule deer.

Actually we did. Chester. We named him after the limping deputy on Gunsmoke.
In the years before I started school, my dad had a big red horse he called Chester... he was a good cow pony. My mom rode him once to bring the milk cows one day when Dad wasn't home.... once behind a cow he kept her moving back to the barn... the cow ran under a tree limb, so did Chester and scraped Mom right out of the saddle. (she never road him again)

Well Chester better be careful. It has been confirmed by tracking collar data that a wolf or wolves have been hanging around our homesteads on the hill. One of our neighbors does film work for the state and they have access to the data. They saw some large tracks and looked at the data. It confirmed that a wolf with a collar came through the area. All of us have noticed very large "coyote" tracks around and now we know they were not coyote. I noticed the large tracks when I snowshoed up the valley behind my house. Maybe this is the reason Chester sleeps right next to the house. Pretty smart deer.

Last edited:
Okay this deer is really starting to be a pain in the you know what. Yesterday he scared the bejesus out of me. I was watching some television when I suddenly was startled by the looming figure of someone staring at me from the window. He just stood there for a good 5 minutes watching me. He then just meandered off around the house. I have to tell you he is standing in a courtyard surrounded on 3 sides by the house. I have no idea what he wanted.

Oh by the way, he left a little deposit so that I remember he was there.

1676556781522.png

View attachment 123911

But seriously, What's up with his ear? Looks like something took a good sized chunk out of it.
He is an older buck. I assumed it was due to some fighting during rutting season. Or maybe he got injured fighting off a predator. He doesn't say. I think he is kind of sensitive about it and tends to only show his good side.

It's heartwarming to hear about the buck that has taken a liking to your place! It's amazing how animals can bring so much joy and comfort to our lives, even when we weren't expecting it. I can understand why you may have been hesitant to get a pet with your busy lifestyle, but it's wonderful that you were able to open your heart to this wild animal in need. It's always great to see people who are willing to help animals in need. If you're interested in positively impacting the lives of children in need, you should check out Foster Care Support. They provide a circle of support for foster families and children in foster care, helping to make a positive difference in their lives. It's always great to see people who care about animals and children in need. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
Good possibility he was raised on a bottle somewhere and then turned loose when he got to big. I know it is neat, but intact male animals should always be handled/treated with care and caution as they are predictably unpredictable. Daytime behavior of a usually nocturnal animal is a good sign of rabies. I don't want to be the mood killer here, but please be careful.