Weekend is coming...

...and it might be a productive weekend in the shop. I was going to make the trip into Columbus for the Woodworking Show but today the Governor put the kibosh on gatherings over 100 people due to the coronavirus so that show has been cancelled. Looks like there won’t be any sporting events to watch over the weekend (again, coronavirus) so my choices will be yard work if the rain holds off or a lot of time in the shop otherwise.

Yeah - I just cancelled my hotel reservations at the Polaris Hampton. I'd planned on spending the weekend in Columbus, hitting the show, and the open house at Woodwerks, as well as Micro Center and a few other places. Oh well, think of the money I've saved...

You should be with me! Tomorrow early, I'm loading up LOML and 2 of her quilter friends and I'm taking them to the Dallas Quilt Show. Quilters are fearless. I'm not going it, you understand. I'm thinking about slowing down as I get to the arena and letting them roll out like paratroopers. I have a feeling I'll get a chance to rethink that on the 3 hour drive to Dallas. Once they're out, I'm headed for Woodworld TX. No telling what find that I need there.

Supposed to be cold here, the return of winter arrives at least briefly. That puts the kibosh on some planned outdoor plant oriented activities. We had an event planned at a local Basque Cidery that's only open once a year but they canceled because of the reasons. We can still pickup our cider from a drop off though so we're going to do that and have a small party with just the two of us at home (which is generally more my style anyway so that works for me). I also need to do some setup in the home office as it looks like I'm joining the pantsless work from home crowd for the next month or so and the place is kind of a pit of despair and half done projects.

Shop time. Got pretty far along on the mantel project and was looking at it from across the room when something did not look right. Many explicatives later I realized that I had made a bad cut and, as is always the case, it was a "too short" cut. :bang: No way to fix it. So I am heading to the lumber mill this morning and spending the weekend rebuilding a major part to the mantel assembly.

Looks like I joined the pant-less work from home crowd as well today, at least for a bit. My wife's company went to it for the next couple of weeks and since there was a few folks with fevers on her floor, my boss recommended I do the WFH option for a bit. Already dreaded the grocery store yesterday, everything stocked except for the empty shelves for the one thing we didn't need anyway. :huh:

So after worky, work is done, I'll be heading up to the shop to start figuring out what pieces of metal weld to what other pieces of metal. I may layout and drill/tap the 80+ holes I need to make first on the drill press rather than doing them by hand after getting welded up.

Grandkids are supposed to come tomorrow to spend the night. I will continue the welding project on Sunday after they go home.

Looks like I joined the pant-less work from home crowd as well today, at least for a bit.

Yes, it is coming for me, just a matter of time. My boss told me to take my laptop home each night...just in case.

Already dreaded the grocery store yesterday, everything stocked except for the empty shelves for the one thing we didn't need anyway. :huh:

What! You don't need any toilet paper!

Well no good deed goes unpunished. One of the ladies going to the Dallas Quilt Show canceled late last night. She's 81 and afraid there would be too much walking. So LOML and a friend, and I jumped into the pickup early this morning, drove thru McD's and headed to Dallas. All 3 of us checked the website last night to confirm the show must go on. None of us thought to check it again this morning. Yep, you guessed it, we pulled into the parking lot, no one was collecting parking fees and all the exterior doors were locked. Caught a guy in the parking lot and asked him how to get in. He said go home, City of Dallas canceled it late last night. A full house of exhibitors and vendors were packing up and heading home.

Oh well, went down the road and bought a day pack for excursions on our Nov cruise - everyone should be better by then - then went to Joe T Garcia's for lunch. Then came home and made it in time to take a nap - LOML is taking her's right now. Great lunch, good visit and gas at $1.679 per gallon. Good time was had by all.

My weekend started tonight with a project to build a new nesting box for my chickens. I got quite far with it tonight,and will finish tomorrow. They need a new one because the current one is almost impossible to clean and I had a problem with frozen eggs this year. This one is an improved model with slightly more slant to the floors to allow the eggs to roll out better, larger openings for the eggs to fall through, thermostatically controlled lower section, better cushioning and easier access for cleaning.
Tomorrow I'm picking up the lumber for the floors on my second floor. I made wide-pine floors in my wife's craftroom and she wants the same for the hall and master bedroom floors. She'll be home in a few weeks so I need to get thm done soon.

My weekend started tonight with a project to build a new nesting box for my chickens. I got quite far with it tonight,and will finish tomorrow. They need a new one because the current one is almost impossible to clean and I had a problem with frozen eggs this year. This one is an improved model with slightly more slant to the floors to allow the eggs to roll out better, larger openings for the eggs to fall through, thermostatically controlled lower section, better cushioning and easier access for cleaning.
Tomorrow I'm picking up the lumber for the floors on my second floor. I made wide-pine floors in my wife's craftroom and she wants the same for the hall and master bedroom floors. She'll be home in a few weeks so I need to get thm done soon.
We'd love to see some photos of both projects, Ken. :thumb: Feel free to start new threads for either or both.