Well... I am praying to

Paul B Cresti

Member
Messages
95
..the woodworking gods next weekend because I have to install this bathroom vanity, wall panel with pilasters and all associated trim. There is also mirrors and accent panels for the walls which have the plumbing fixture attached to it and the lights. The vanity will be topped with a green stone top that curves around the vanity and then returns straight to the wall, splitting a pair of the pilasters in half.
 

Attachments

  • Cnv0160.jpg
    Cnv0160.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Cnv0161.jpg
    Cnv0161.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Cnv0162.jpg
    Cnv0162.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Cnv0163.jpg
    Cnv0163.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Cnv0164.jpg
    Cnv0164.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Cnv0165.jpg
    Cnv0165.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 28
  • Cnv0166.jpg
    Cnv0166.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Cnv0167.jpg
    Cnv0167.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Cnv0168.jpg
    Cnv0168.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 32

Marty Walsh

Member
Messages
1,396
Location
Southern Georgia
Paul,

That's sure a nice vanity. Is that your design? It sure has an 'architects' flair to it!

So, what kind of wood? Finish?

I'd also be interested in construction details on how you did the curve work.

Oh, and I'd obviously like to see the finished installed product, if that's possible...;)

Very very nice...and good luck with the install...
- Marty -
 

Paul B Cresti

Member
Messages
95
Thanks for looking guys. It is based upon a picture that the client saw and they liked. Orginally it was going to be Fiddleback Anigre but the cost of the 4x8 sheet alone was about 350! That on top of the fact that I would have had to vacuum bag the vanity in order to veneer it to match up the grain flecks really drove up the cost of the project.

Instead we decided to go with all solid wood for the vanity, maple on top cherry below and use maple veneered ply for the pilasters and wall panels. The cones are made via solid wood with beveled and tapered staves. It prooved to be a very tricky undertaking to get the two cones to match as they did. Each cone took about a week to glue up, as I could only glue so many of them since clamping was so tricky. After all glued I then used cabinet scrapers and my big Rotex to smooth out the slight ridges. I ended up using 24 staves for each cone as this allowed to get a realtively "smooth" curve. The hinges are another story all together. I can tell you one thing I am really glad I had a Slider to cut those staves. One simple jig and I was in stave heaven.
 
Last edited:

Sam Blasco

Member
Messages
359
Location
Smithville, TX
Sweet design and execution. I look forward to some pics after install. You must have had some fun figuring the hinge type and placement. Did you have a plan for that or was it something you had to wing and figure out later on in the project?
 

Paul B Cresti

Member
Messages
95
Hey Sam,
Oh man did I do some serious winging on this project....very unlike me as i am a very calculating type person...every thing I did on this vanity was an adventure into new territory. I am normally a very traditional style type designer when it goes to furniture. This project on the other hand was my first exposure to modern and more specificly the Art Deco era. The hinges went right down to the wire.....Blum turned me down and had no suggestions...it took me about 2 hours each to install those doors
 

Stuart Ablett

Member
Messages
15,917
Location
Tokyo Japan
Hey Paul, I wanted to post on this thread before, but I got sidetracked...... :rolleyes:

Paul, that is one heck of an amazing job, hats off to you! :clap: :bow:

Just looking at it and trying to figure it out makes my head hurt :bonkers:

Thanks for sharing that with us all, an inspiration to be sure! :thumb:

Cheers!
 
Top