Well that was unexpected

I needed to run down to the storage unit to put locks on it, so figured I'd not waste a trip and took a small load with me.
trailerload.PNG

Tomorrow I'll start disassembling the cnc and take a few of the rolling tool cabinets. Hopefully I can get some help this weekend to take hardware and blast cabinet down. I picked up another stack of plastic bins to start filling with hand and power tools. My wife has a list of things that she'd like out of the house as well.

I do not envy what you are doing, so much work, I guess that is why we have lived in our house for 37 years now, but you will have a great outcome moving to the farm, now that I envy 😁

The 500 lbs of cnc frame stores nicely. Then there is the controller cabinet and a couple of containers with the wiring and z axis. I also picked up another 15 containers to pack tools and supplies.
20210605_180434.jpg 20210605_181725.jpg

I have most of the cabinets empty. I'm not planning to move the cabinets, will probably garage sale rhem. I will build or buy new ones for the new shop. The combination of cost to store, and weight to move, out weighs just doing new ones

A Sea Can ( mobile truck and sea going container) can be purchased and used for on-the-farm temporary storage and you can get your investment back if you decide that you don't need it any more. Make certain that it has no leaks before buying it, or tar the top with the silver roofing cement. A 55' long version can hold a whole house worth of stuff or a big shop, but not both at the same time.

Charley

I was able to get my wife to go through her holiday decor and consolidate some of it, still had about 20 large plastic bins, but cleared out the garage.

I had mentioned to one neighbor I was going to get rid of the shop cabinets. The new neighbor across the street stopped over this morning asking about them for his basement and garage, so looks like they have a new home, I just need to finish emptying them. I offered for him to use my flatbed, so he didn't have to lift them into his truck bed. Should be gone by next weekend.

Well, we procured storage unit #2 yesterday, another 10 x 40. Hopefully will be enough to hold what is left after the moving sale, what our daughter takes, & goes to the farm or dumpster.

I still have my name on some waiting lists and will probably take another just in case as a backup. Just had another house around the corner listed on Sunday, it's already pending sale and was asking about $200k more than it was bought for just 2 years ago.

Well, we procured storage unit #2 yesterday, another 10 x 40. Hopefully will be enough to hold what is left after the moving sale, what our daughter takes, & goes to the farm or dumpster.

I still have my name on some waiting lists and will probably take another just in case as a backup. Just had another house around the corner listed on Sunday, it's already pending sale and was asking about $200k more than it was bought for just 2 years ago.
I fear that these buyers will be underwater soon. My friends daughter just bought a house in CT. She was told the tax rate was very low. Sold a bill of goods for sure. Conn property taxes are I believe the 3rd highest in the country. That's a double whammy. I looked up the sales history on the house. In 2016 it sold at $100,000 less than they just paid for it. My son lives in Ct. He is ready to buy a house, but NOT in Ct and not now. He has a Masters in finance. GREAT time to sell, but not so great to be buying.

Yeah, I'm not sure the prices here are going to be going down. It seems we're getting an influx of buyers from out of state with cash to spend. Almost every person I know that has sold in the last few months has had multiple cash offers, very few have had to deal with financing.

When I was in Oklahoma in '77, there was a lady with a beautiful barn made from old wooden railroad cars. Three cars long, wide alley between, trusses over the tops and metal roof. Storage containers could do the same thing, two long with doors on each end of the barn, they would be more secure than a pole barn, and trusses over them with a wide alley for equipment. Ideas abound with containers and floor plans. The lady in OK because they were wooden RR cars, cut the sides so they were box stall size. Could plasma cut a door on the side of the containers also I guess. Fill them, ship them to the farm, place them and unpack at your leisure.

We have been in the same house for nearly 40 years and we are both candidates for an episode of Hoarders. We both have multiple hobbies and we both are pack rats. And to make things worse we have two walk-in attics. One is as large as the two car garage it is located above and the other is half that size. Both can be accessed by just opening a door so everything ends up in one or the other. We have everything you can think of in these attics but who knows where it is and what it is under. Best of all we have lots of good boxes piled in there so that we will have the box we need when we need to ship something.

Every few years it reaches a point where we have to reduce the pile. We have a neighborhood yard sale in the fall that is quite famous and well advertised It is a great way to get rid of some of the stuff too good to throw away. When we die of natural causes or one of the piles topples over and buries us someone will be cursing our passing as they clean up this mess. I am glad I will not be here to hear the bad words.

Could plasma cut a door on the side of the containers also I guess

If you do that strongly recommend welding in re-enforcing channel around the opening (if you're planning to put top loads on like a roof..). The containers are designed as a uni-structure and the walls are corrugated to support overhead weight and they can buckle surprisingly easy if that structure is compromised. I think there may also be some recommended ways to brace out the lateral supports for side loads.. but that's well past my engineering know how.

When I was in Oklahoma in '77, there was a lady with a beautiful barn made from old wooden railroad cars. Three cars long, wide alley between, trusses over the tops and metal roof. Storage containers could do the same thing, two long with doors on each end of the barn, they would be more secure than a pole barn, and trusses over them with a wide alley for equipment. Ideas abound with containers and floor plans. The lady in OK because they were wooden RR cars, cut the sides so they were box stall size. Could plasma cut a door on the side of the containers also I guess. Fill them, ship them to the farm, place them and unpack at your leisure.
Jonathan, I thought about doing that next year when I make the move. Around here the containers go for 3 grand each. Then I say some thing like this.

I hardly think I could put the roof structure in the center of two containers for 6 grand.