What is your preferred method of attaching face frames

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I thought I had everything planned out on these vanities - I forgot to decide early on how to attach the face frames to the plywood case. :huh::bang:

I've seen a number of ways to do it -
pocket screws into the backs of the frame,
some glue and some discreetly placed nails to be filled in later,
Biscuits and glue and just clamp it in place till the glue sets.

Face nailing is probably not an option for me as I'm having the frame sprayed and then attaching it later.

Any other ways of doing it? I'm kind of leaning towards pocket screws even though I did not drill the holes when I had the chance there is still plenty of clearance to do it now. Won't make that mistake on the second unit. :crossed:

I've used biscuits with good results. Pocket screws work well, too, but I prefer the biscuits. Dominoes will work, but placement has to be exact, whereas biscuits allow a little 'wiggle room.'

Typically I'll dado the backs for the sides to inset about 1/8" for glue up, I've used brads through the face to hold until the glue dries. I've also done pocket screws where they wouldn't show, like on the outside between it and the wall or hidden under a piece of 1/4" plywood if an outside face. Also have done biscuits as Jim suggested, but the dados seem to be a cleaner look. IMHO

Typically I'll dado the backs for the sides to inset about 1/8" for glue up, I

Same but it's fussy to fit and imho not as well suited for most production work as things like biscuits unless you're seriously production mode and doing a lot the same. I like the way it hides the edges with "real" wood and also provides more aggressive stability control. If I was doing commission pieces.. I think I'd be more apt to perhaps do biscuits depending on the price point.

i agree with dado if you think ahead and biscuts if you didnt. in your case are you gonna be able to glue afterwards? the pocket screws work but works the best if you have a cover panel to hide them

I am of the glue and brad camp but I never did pre-finished. The brads are there just to keep the styles and rails in place until the glue dries. They act a clamps. I have just glued em and clamped em and never had a problem either. I used Titebond and when it dries the woods gonna fail before the glue will let go. I think this is a case where we over build. the face frame are there for two reason, looks and to hold up the doors. I bet the screw in the frame will fail before the glued joints.....jmho.