What to do with this???

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Had my friend of 50 years over the other night and he brought these over and gave to me, not sure about the usage of this lathe, if its worth doing anything with or not (maybe I'll drop it off at Larry's :ROFLMAO:). Lots of old tools, a few nice ones! #89 stanley scraper is kool, and 2 nice hand saws, one Atkins and one Disston. I feel the saws should be refurbished, will need to research how to do that.
IMG_3986.jpgIMG_3987.jpgIMG_3988.jpgIMG_3989.jpgIMG_3990.jpgIMG_3991.jpg

WOW !!! Some really neat stuff in that pile. A saw set for putting a set in the teeth of those saw blades after you restore and sharpen them, spoke shave and draw knife, some turning tools for the lathe that could likely use some sharpening, a couple of interesting scrapers, A chisel that needs a handle that you can make on the lathe after you build a stand for it, a rabbet plane, a "ticking stick" (to the right of the scraper on top of the block of wood), a hand drill that needs some handles and significant restoring, a folding ruler, a Yankee screwdriver, some files to sharpen the saws with, a hatchet, a very interesting brass scribe, nail sets, and a bunch of other things. A very interesting pile indeed.

What are in the 2 cylinders in photo #2 ? It looks like most of these are worth cleaning up and restoring, but many could be used just as they are. They should keep you busy for quite a while, and I can see that some of them will be very useful.

Charley

Cool haul indeed. The lathe looks serviceable for spindle projects like tool handles and such. The turning tools will need sharpening for sure (and will need resharpening often when used) but it looks like enough to get some stuff done.

The small stubby bits are "center bits", excellent to have!

The draw knife and axe look like very good finds, ditto the saws.

The brass marking gauge in the second picture is kind of interesting, I don't think I've seen one like it.

Can't see the rebate plane well enough to judge for sure but for the price it sure looks good ;) The blade on the old woody shoulder plane looks nice and clean as well, so it's probably a solid user.

On the lathe, hard to say without moving stuff around and wiggling it. Looks like it would likely make a decent spindle lathe with a bit of cleanup though. I have a somewhat similar one in a bit rougher shape I've been trying to give away to an interested party for two years :D

Stubby bits? Have a couple of those and had no idea what they were or how to use them. I assumed they were for metal machining.
David
They are. Intended to drill a tapered hole in the end of stock so that the tip of a lathe center fits snugly. However, they also make great countersink bits for woodworking, too.

Yes, center drill bits. They are great for making starter holes for lathe centers, or to make starter holes to keep drill bits from wandering when trying to begin a hole. Start the hole with one of these and then switch to the drill bit. The other container does indeed have "glazier points" for securing glass panels in windows before adding glazing compound. There are better designs available now that are easier to use than these.

No comments about the "ticking stick" ? Do any of you have one? It's an old boat builder's tool, but used by many when an exact fit patch needs to be made for an irregular shaped hole. There are Youtube videos that explain how to use them. They can be any length needed that will be about 2/3 the size of the needed patch in overall length. One edge needs to be straight and the other edge an obvious irregular shape (to keep you from using that side). The straight side allows you to use it as a guide to draw straight lines. One end needs a sharp point, and the other a more blunt point. Most that I've seen and made myself look similar to the one in the photo. Using it is a little hard to explain, but the videos demonstrate it well. Making the marks accurately and then cutting the shape accurately results in a perfect fitting piece. You won't likely need one of these very often, but knowing about them and how to use them can be a woodworker's life saver, when you discover that you do need one. I've made several in my lifetime when they were needed (an uncle taught me how to use them and gave me one), but back in my younger years I did own and repair wooden boats. I think I still have at least one Ticking Stick, but have no idea where in my shop that they are.

Charley

Last edited:
Charley, thanks for the mention of the ticking stick. I watched a couple of videos and can see where one might come in handy, then I went back through the photos to try and find what you were talking about. I think what you thought was a ticking stick to the right of the scraper on top of the block of wood is actually what holds the blade in the wooden plane/block of wood it's sitting on. What do you think?

...I think what you thought was a ticking stick to the right of the scraper on top of the block of wood is actually what holds the blade in the wooden plane/block of wood it's sitting on. What do you think?
Yeah, that item is the wedge for the wooden plane it's sitting on. The plane blade is right next to it.

Tom,
Can you get a better picture of that brass marking gauge at the bottom left of the second picture? (Just under the Surform, and next to the Yankee screwdriver). I've not seen one quite like that before.