What's it worth????

Steve Ash

I have this Oliver lathe I went through about 8 years ago, re-painted it, had the electric motor gone through, put casters on it for mobility. I haven't used it in about 6 years and would rather see someone use it and appreciate it rather than sitting in the back of my shop collecting dust. Anybody have a good idea what I should ask for it?
Oliver lathe resto.jpg

Steve do you remember what the spindle size is on it?

If it is some odd size, that hurts it, but if it is a common size that makes a big difference.

What speed range will it do?

120V?

What HP is the motor?

I know it is in tip top shape, but for me to try to price it is difficult, a lathe like that is just about unobtainium here in Japan :D

I bet that some of the stateside turners will chime in, but some more info will really help.

Cheers!

Stu, I'll dig up that information, the only thing I know for certain is it is 240V.
I'll post additional info after I make my way through all the snow to my shop....cussed winter!

More info:
Spindle size appears to be 1 1/16"and I have a One-way stronghold chuck for it. H.P. is 3/4 and there is a variable speed control dial that goes from 1000-2400. 240V.
Larry the big gray box is the off/on switch that I put on it to shut off power immediately.
Also would let chisels/gouges go with it.

Good to see the added info.

Honestly that 1000 RPM low range makes it a spindle lathe for the most part, smaller boxes etc OK, but major bowl work, well that is kind of fast, but maybe I'm wrong?

Still, it is a nice piece of steel that will last a long while yet, surely worth more than most of the poor quality stuff we see for sale at some shops.

I've always admired the resto job you did on that lathe, Steve. :clap:

...but major bowl work, well that is kind of fast, but maybe I'm wrong?...

Yeah, 1000 rpm is a bit quick for bowls, especially if you're roughing out an unbalanced blank, but it could turn a bowl if you started with a well-centered round blank. As a spindle lathe, it would be awesome. :thumb:

Actually really good lathe for Larry as he is admiring Brian Cowling's turnings for furniture.

Lathe, tools, chucks, and delivery, Larry! :thumb:

Probably some instruction too. I'll even come and show you how to sharpen the tools. I'll even through in a lesson or three.

Okay, so far no guesses as to what the lathe is worth......

Maybe a direction, which way from $1500.00 would be reasonable?

Okay, so far no guesses as to what the lathe is worth......

Maybe a direction, which way from $1500.00 would be reasonable?

Unfortunately I think it will be less than that price, and we all know it will be what the market can bear, and I have no idea what that market is like in your neck of the woods.

Maybe the better question is "What would you let it go for?" If someone walked in to your shop today with say $500 cash, would they leave with the lathe? and I'm not saying that is what it's worth, I'm asking if you would let it go for that or.....?

Really is a nice lathe.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I think Stu is closer to the ballpark. Two factors jumped at me... only 3/4 horse, yet 240 volt, and poor speed control (I rarely start a bowl over 500 rpm, and sometimes much less than that). My shop, and most that I know, put in special wiring for 240 volts to support a specific machine. If the motor cannot be rewired for 120 volts (almost any 120 volt outlet can handle a 3/4 horse motor) then the buyer will have a significant wiring expense just to use the lathe.

The question you need to ask yourself - if I had $1,500 to spend on a lathe what would I get? My Nova DVR (pre XP but basically the same) costs $2,000 but goes on sale about once per year, so is close to $1500. Digital speed control (easily gets down to 250 with lots of torque even at that speed, and the newer versions go even slower), and goes faster than I want even with spindles. Runs on 120 volts, yet without belts (direct drive digital motor) has the equivalent of about a 2 hp lathe. One review started that "This is not a good lathe," but continued "this is a great lathe." I agree, and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Given that I am spoiled by a DVR at close to $1,500, how much less would your lathe have to be to make me buy it? A lot less, even though I am sure it is a sturdy, quality unit.

Yup Charlie is dead on. I was thinking you aint gonna see $1000 in my view because when we get to that level of buy , i think in terms of Nova like Charlie said on sale with a whole lot more to offer and a warranty.
My bet is Stu is closest especially given the voltage.

sent from s4

Don't shoot the messenger,

Nope, I was looking for a answer and I'm glad you provided it, also thanks Rob and Stu.
In my mind I had thought a $1,000.00 given the work put into it and the tools thrown in with it. If someone walked in the shop with a 1,000.00 I'd let it go.....otherwise it will stay in the shop collecting dust and perhaps when I retire will find steady use.
Or maybe Larry will want to come over and do some turning on it........

Thanks again for the responses, they are appreciated. :thumb: