Wheelbarrow

Eric Black

The project was to high light Amy’s granddad’s cedar. He left us before he was able to complete his project. The panels and bottom was made with the cedar he planned down, other than cut to fit I left them as he left them. It took a while to pick a project but gardening was something they shared. I have build pics on my FB page for anyone interested. (Just my hobbies if you like to follow along https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012506581264 ) Not wise construction for outdoors but wanted to make something nice. Going to finish with spar varnish and accept the yearly maintenance.

IMG_1356.JPG

A useful product with a past to keep it alive. Wonderful. Yearly maintenance won't be bad if it is put in a shed when not in use. Very nice, serviceable yet pleasing to the eyes. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

I love the design of that wheel barrow. I think it's too nice to leave outside in the Weather, but here is a suggestion.

Why not preserve it the old way. A couple of coats of boiled linseed oil allowed to dry before the next coat, and with the excess wiped off and removed about 1 hour after application, and then a fresh coat of BLO every year makes a nice old day way of preserving wood that needs to be in the Weather, and the next coat will go on easily without sanding.

But be careful about what you do with the rags that you apply the linseed oil with, or you can start a fire without trying. Bunched up oily rags with boiled linseed oil or any drying type oils can ignite on their own. The best way to deal with them is to soak them in a metal pail full of water. If you have a chain link or other metal fence, you can open them up and hang them over the fence until they are dry. If opened up so the air can freely get to both sides they will just dry like your project. Bunched up they will get hot as the oil dries and the heat can become high enough to ignite the rags. I left a linseed oil rag bunched up on my workbench while I was arranging an area of my shop to prepare it for placing the oiled project while it dried. It took me about 45 minutes to do this. When I went back to the bench and picked up the rag to move it , the rag was already hot enough to make me drop it quickly.
Now, as soon as the last wipe of oil goes on my project, the oily rag is taken out of my shop and put in a pail of water. At my former shop, my neighbor's chain link fence was right next to my shop, so I would hang my rags on his fence for a few days until they dried, then put them in the trash.

Charley

Thank you for posting Charley, I actually bought BLO but because I never used it I got cold feet. I have to finish a couple projects up and put finishes on them at the same time to limit the lost use of my shop. I am feeling better about trying it, when you read stuff I always wonder do they really know? I will be careful with the rags, I had an incident with an orbital palm sander smoldering in the bag from sanding fiberglass scary stuff. Again thanks. I think I have a theme going for this year’s projects could be cabin/spring fever or just missing my youth on the farm.

c3.JPG

Well you don't have to worry about the handles on that plow rotting off anytime soon. Don't know how well she will plow behind my mule but will look fantastic in the yard for years to come without donating a good one to ole Mother Nature . Liking your theme!

BLO is safe to use, as long as you pay respect to not leaving the BLO soaked oily rags in the shop when you finish applying it. Actually, there are other "drying oils" on the market that you should also be very careful when using. Some of these are Dainish oils and Tung oils or variations of them, of which many of these products are actually blends that contain BLO and driers. When you use any of these "drying oils" you should be equally as careful with the rags when you finish using them. The chemical action of the drying process absorbs oxygen from the air and generates heat. This heat will build up rapidly in a bunched up rag, because it does not get free air flow to remove the heat.

Before moving here I was opening up my oily rags and draping them over my neighbor's chain link fence next to my shop where they wouldn't easily be seen, so they would dry without over heating. After two days they would be completely dry and I would throw them away in the trash. Here, next to my shop I have a 5 gallon galvanized trash can with a tight fitting lid. I put several gallons of water in it, and put my drying oil soaked rags into this water and replace the lid. After several days, or whenever I think of it, I wring out the rags and throw them in the trash. By then the water has fully interrupted the chemical reaction and the rags are safe to throw away.

I use BLO often, because a coat of it on figured wood makes the grain really pop in appearance. Then I follow this coat with other finishes, but I make certain that I get the oil soaked rags out of the shop and into a pail of water as soon as I finish using them. I have a lot of respect for fire, and was a volunteer fireman for most of my working life. At 77 I'm now fully retired from a daily job as well as the fire service. My woodworking and photography hobbies keep me active now. I still sometimes respond to fires, but it's with my camera now.

Charley

I put old BLO rags laid flat in the BBQ No fires (yet anyway) and if there were they'd at least be well contained. They also work pretty well to start the charcoal later, just don't use to many of them :D

For outside stuff I take a slightly different tact with BLO. I take some and put it in a can then cut with pure gum turpentine at about 2 parts BLO to 1 part turps. The turps thins out the BLO and improves penetration. I then saturate the piece with this mix, let it set for an hour or three then wipe off well (works better when its fairly hot out - say above 80F otherwise it doesn't penetrate well and is also a sticky mess). Wait a couple days, repeat, wait a couple weeks and repeat.. then it should be pretty good. You might need to take a card scraper or light sandpaper (wait another week after application if using sandpaper to reduce clogging..) to gently remove some fuzz after application #1.

There are some caveats about this approach, primarily that the soaked in BLO "never" cures (or at least really slowly) because it doesn't have much oxygen contact, the top ~1/32+- does cure but the stuff under it stays a bit oozy for a really long time. That is IMHO an advantage for outside stuff because if it gets scraped you get a fresh "finish" on piece for free, its not however something I'd want for the finish on an interior piece. it can also bleed for a while which is sort of a ditto on the outside vs inside work tradeoff.