Where to buy - Curly Maple

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I'm drawing up a proposal for a client for an art deco entry table. He wants very pronounced 'tiger' grain so I'm recommending curly maple (I think, also known as tiger maple). Getting the highly figure stuff locally will be a challenge, thought there is one source I can try.

Just wondering if any of you have dealt on line with a supplier that has high quality, highly figured maple. Probably looking for 20 bf or less..

Man, that's a tough one. My near life long passion has been old (style) muzzle loading firearms. Tiger/striped maple is a big favorite with those getting new custom built rifles. Tiger striped is in big demand and orders for it are always put on waiting lists, often as much as 18 months wait. And the cost? Heart stopping. You may try Pecatonica Rifle Supply. Long time, reliable vendor of rifle stocks.

It's a long haul and not super cheap, but I've gotten some ridiculously highly figured wood from my cousin at high west wood. Might be worth giving him an email or call and see what he has in stock that might work for you (some of the table slabs here are nice).

I've also had some luck going to "regular" wood places that let you dig through the stacks and hunting for gems :)

I just received an order for some Curly Maple from curlymaple.com that Ted mentioned above. I've been wanting some to use as accents on a clock I am planing to build. I ordered two pieces out of their "odds and ends" section. I am very happy with it.
It's a long haul and not super cheap, but I've gotten some ridiculously highly figured wood from my cousin at high west wood. Might be worth giving him an email or call and see what he has in stock that might work for you (some of the table slabs here are nice).

I've also had some luck going to "regular" wood places that let you dig through the stacks and hunting for gems :)
Excellent info - thanks !!!

Cook woods (ditto on $$$) also has some "quilted" western Big Leaf. I've bought some exotics from their sales and a couple bigger chunks when there was a local woodworking show and they were decent to deal with.

Obviously I'm on the wrong coast but $7 - $12/bf is about normal out here right now. Price variation covers width and thickness being at a premium.