Which fence should I use?

Greg Cook

I bought a Delta 36-680 contractors saw for $427.00, during an Amazon sale. It came with the Delta T2 fence, which was a nice fence. I later acquired a Bieseymeyer 40” Home Shop fence system (36" fence arm) during another Amazon sale and have been using it for quite a while. I really like it for it’s simplicity and accuracy. I built a Melamine table for it, shown here.

The 40” gives me a good amount of “right of the blade” cut capability, but I have never used more than 18 ~ 20 inches or so, thus far. I think a 30” system would be just fine, but the 40” was on sale. In my small shop, it’s OK, but still a bit of a beast to move…I have the saw on a Herc-U-Lift mobile base….no legs. (I am careful, and have never had a tilting sideways problem when lifting or using the saw without legs.) I’ve wanted to make some jigs, aux fences and other “goodies” for the fence, but haven’t yet and am reluctant to do anything that would require drilling into the fence sides. I have 2 sets of 40” rails/tubes…one on the saw and one spare I got when the first set was shipped scratched but I opted to keep it when the second shipment was scratched too.

Last week, Lowes was blowing out their stock of Unifences for $165. Having heard a lot of good things about the fence, especially the versatility of the Uni-T fence arm available for it, I picked one up. This is the 30” right cut Commercial version with the 43” fence arm, and includes the table and legs. The 30” should be enough for me, and I can not see myself needing longer anytime in the near or distant future. I like the ability to adjust the fence and use it as a cross cut stop also.

Before I get the Uni-T, open up the box and try the Unifence out, I thought I’d get some input from the group. Are there any members with the Unifence, and how do you like it…specifically the versatility with the Uni-T if you have it, or have seen/tried it.

I could also just list the Unifence on craigslist and make a few bucks….

I could sell the Bies system and get more/break even on the Unifence/Uni-T system, so the $ is not a problem.

To all…

I’d like to get comments/opinions on which system you would suggest I use: the 30" right cut Commercial Unifence/Uni-T (43" fence arm) or the 40" right cut Home Shop Bieseymeyer (36" fence arm)?

I realize there are a lot of personal preference involved, but I’m looking for accuracy, reliability and versatility as the main considerations.

I have no ideas about using any other fence, just one of these 2 that I have now.

Thanks to all,

Last edited:
Greg,

I'm surprised you've stuck with the contractor's saw, considering all the tools you've purchased. Lots of good deals on old table saws.:thumb:

I think the fence is a matter of preference, and either will work.

I like the simplicity of the bies, but haven't had much experience with the Unifence.

The Delta contractor saws are not bad though, and either fence is probably capable of making most any project that any of the folks around here would imagine.

You must like the saw, you've gone through a fair amount of upgrades. That would make me wonder if there's not a better saw that has many of the features you're looking for.

Last edited:
Alan,

Thanks. As to the saw, I upgraded from the 9" Rockwell saw I got from my Dad, so the Delta Contractors saw was quite an improvement. The $427 price also helped. I've added just the link belt, machined pulleys, PAL system, and dust collector plate that would be unique to a contractors saw. The other things I've added is the Delta Guard, Incra Miter gauge, and Miter Express sled, which could be added to any saw, and the fences. I got more for the T2 than I paid for the Bies I got (super special deal), and I can sell either the Bies or the Unifence and get all my money back and maybe then some. So, what ever fence I use will be basically free, which takes cost out of the equation. All my blades, will work on any 10" saw.

A cabinet saw is not in the cards for several reasons. Mainly, I am really happy with the Delta I have right now, and....it was a Christmas present from a very important person! :D

I think if it were just the Unifence alone, I might lean more to sticking with the Bies. However, with the Uni-T addition, ( http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm ) it looks like a great system. I hope some members here that have the Unifence, and have used the Uni-T, will post too.

Last edited:
Greg,

I completely understand about your contractors saw, in fact, I hated like all heck to get rid of my Ridgid 3612, a very similar saw as what you have in power, and size most likely, and it was a wonderful saw for me. It was reliable and did what I needed...so why did I get a larger saw that is by far more accurate?:huh:

Mainly, because of the power. While I loved my contractor saw, I needed to be patient with any stock larger than 4/4. The other reason is that I could have such a beast as the Yates-American. That would have been unheard of for most people in the past, owning such equipment is like a dream for many (color me purple on that one).

I will add that had my wife got me that saw, I would have had to think quite a bit about that. My wife has bought few tools for me, mainly because her and the kids don't know what to get...so they let me get my own.

Well Greg, I'd love to have your problem :D

I cannot offer much in the way of advice, as both fences get great reviews, and have a loyal following.

On thing about the saw, if you DO fine it lacking power, you could always buy a bigger motor :D

Cheers!

I can't really help you Greg, (because I guess I'm Predjudiced:D ). and also, I HAVE NOT used the Uni T fence. I have had the Biese on my saw for 17 years, and love it, but have used many other saws and fences during that time. I guess my problem is that of ALL the different ALUMINUM fences, that I have used, I have never found one yet that actually held it's accuracy like the Biese, IMHO. As to drilling into the Biese, just two holes in the TOP of the Biese allows one to install all kinds of jigs, hold downs, etc., without any damage to the Biese or affecting it's accuracy. You may just have to install the Uni T and try it out to see for yourself whether it works better for your own projects or not.:dunno: Good Luck with whichever one you decide to keep.

Sounds like it's a really a matter of preference...both great fences. The Biese does you give some potential added capacity.

Also, you can add an aux fence to the Biese using rare earth magnets instead of drilling into the tube. :)

Attachments

• auxfence.jpg
    auxfence.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 20
Well Greg, I'd love to have your problem :D
Stu, I think it's safe to say you've got a worse problem than Greg...haven't you been to your website lately?:rofl:

Truth be told, I didn't need to get the bies fence for my table saw, just that the accuracy was appreciated, and ease of adjustment was a safety factor. So far I like it, but don't have too much time with it yet, a few months. So far so good.