Whitewash ??

i got curious and looked it up. here is what i found, HOW TO WHITEWASH - Mix solution EQUAL PARTS of white paint/water. cover a small section at a time with the whitewash. Wipe off the excess paint with scraps of flannel sheet . so a thinned milk paint, say 50/50, then wipe it down right away should work, but test it out first.

The effect is achieved by wiping off the excess before is soaks in significantly. I doubt that your spraying will achieve what is supposed to be the desired "white wash" look. The final result that I was supposed to create was supposed to be a whitish pine look, semi transparent, with the full grain and knots showing through. I used Zar white stain, painted it on, and wiped off the excess after about 15 minutes. The result was a flat and moderately whitened pine board look. She wanted it shiny, so I applied semi gloss wipe-on poly as the second coat and put several coats on the top.

Looking for photo...........

Charley

Thank you all for the results.

At first I was reluctant to thin out white paint, but this seems to be a viable method.

I have white paint, but no milk paint or lacquer or stain.

I will try 1 part flat white paint and 2 parts water. Wash it on and wipe it off.

When I do the sign I will post it.

If it isn't as white as you want after wiping, leave it on a little longer, or let it dry and apply a second coat. Latex paint may behave very differently than the oil based ZAR white stain that I used. Do your testing on similar scrap material before doing the project.

Still looking for the photo, but I may need to just go take another.

Charley

Late to this party... They used to (still do?) sell something called 'liming wax' that was a pigmented wax intended for finishing open pored wood to resemble whitewashing. You might be able to use that - if you can find it - on your pine project.

The effect is achieved by wiping off the excess before is soaks in significantly. I doubt that your spraying will achieve what is supposed to be the desired "white wash" look. The final result that I was supposed to create was supposed to be a whitish pine look, semi transparent, with the full grain and knots showing through. I used Zar white stain, painted it on, and wiped off the excess after about 15 minutes. The result was a flat and moderately whitened pine board look. She wanted it shiny, so I applied semi gloss wipe-on poly as the second coat and put several coats on the top.

Looking for photo...........

Charley
I doubt you've seen much of what I can do.