Why NOW!!!

my 5 inch festool failed me after only 8 years
I contacted festool and the part is no longer available.
Ive doctored it up but now I can no longer, so Ill be in the market for a new one also after xmas.

I have a Dewalt,, my second one. The first one served me so well, when I finally wore it out I purchased another. I also purchase a refurbished Bosch. I worked a short time and quit. The only refurbished tool I have purchased that let me down!

Last edited:
Let's see...20 year lifespan for a $100 (or so) power tool that has been used a TON. That's about $5 per year. Seems like a pretty good return on investment to me.

My rigid was purchased early in the rigid line up. The original manufacturer of rigid. I could likely fix it and will most likely do so, but I need it NOW.
In the end, if I have two working ROS's that will be a good thing. I srill have the mouse and the sander on my multitool and hand sanding.

Don't know what I end up with. Can't go crazy on money. I really should not spend any more money this month, but I have jobs to do and I need the tool now.

Who knows, maybe another rigid, but I am certain they are not made the same way now,

Off to Home Depot - then a couple more errands then back home.

I have a PowerHouse brand 1/4" electric drill that has been in use for the last 58 years. My dad bought it for me as a Christmas present in 1964. I hate to think how many holes it has drilled over the years. It works as well as it did when I got it. About the only thing I have ever done is blow out the dust inside through the ventilation slots.

I wonder why a cheap old electric drill that sold for $7.99 in 1964 is still operable and tools I have bought since then didn't last half that long.

I have a old Caftsman, given to me by my Dad in 1964 and I still use it.. Only problem with it, it is so old the cord has gotten stiff. Other than that it still drills holes when I want it to. 1964 must have been a good year for drills.

Well, the Bosch fit in my hand better that the new Ridgid, so it a Bosch. I don't have a care in the world about brand loyalty, but I now have 4 Bosch branded tools.

I got the ROS and a 3" masonry chisel to do some tile repairs.

I applied for a home depot card that I don't need and got $25.00 off

I will just pay off the card and never use it - just like my Lowes card
They will just get cut up and canceled.

The sander and chisel - $84.97

Not too bad I guess.

My dad had an old Skil saw that he bought waaaay back when, not sure how old it might be, but he used it as long and as far back and I can remember....
he's changed the brushes in it a number of times, put new cords on it from when co-workers would set the saw with the blade still spinning across the power cord.... in 1989 was still working fine when he died and my stepmother offered it to me... I didn't take it because it was so old and I really wasn't into any wood working then....
My mother in law bought me a new Craftsman power saw in 1995 or96 to use when I was replacing the floors and floor joists in her house... first rattle out of the box, a wasp stung me on the arm when I was using it, I dropped it on her concrete porch and bent the plate.... last summer was replacing the steps on my house and cutting treated wood... just as we were finishing, the saw bound up in the wood and started smoking, now won't come on.... pretty sure it's finished.
I suspect the old Skil I turned down would have been the better saw.

I have a PC that works great after 25 years and a Makita still going strong after 22 years. Festool cost 3-4 times as much and lasted 1/3 the time? Hmmm . . .
my first sander was a pc, works fine, gave it to my son in law, not going to ask for it back. while Im a little dissapointed the p;art isnt available....Ive used the sander probably more then a professional shop.....and from what Ive read on this site, the amount of work Ive turned out....perhaps 5 times as much as the average home woodworker. the p;art that holds the paper disc Ive replaced 2 times, as the discs werent holding on as well....but then the part that holds the sanding disc holder onto the sander, the four small screw holes wore out and I used longer screws to just catch the end of the holes, that worked great for a year, now 2 of them are worn out so the part is being held on by 2 screws but is slightly loose, its only a matter of time until it completely falls off. festool redesigned it and the part I need is no longer anywhere.
1000s of hours of use, just not sure at this pooint in my woodworking life, if I would spend 500 bucks for another festool sander.