Windows 11 ???

A new laptop I got a few months ago came with it. Can't say that I see much difference, aside from the "Start" window that preloads a lot of apps but you can click a link to bring up the menu we're accustomed to seeing.

The new laptop I just set up for my widow friend had it and I upgraded it to 11 pro so I could use some of the team sharing features. Haven’t had the opportunity to do a lot with it, but she made the transition from windows 10 pro with no problems and, most importantly, seems to be able to navigate around in it without me having to do emergency surgery 😅

I installed it and within 24 hours uninstalled it. I had compatibility problems with some of my programs. The experts told me I had to go into the register and make a few changes. Big Mike does not go into the register. He did once and had to hire someone to fix the mess.

I am keeping track of what others say about the issues who have had problems with the same programs. I guess today we are supposed to call them "apps" but as a dinosaur who took Fortran IV in college I call them programs. What do I know anyway.

I have a newer Lenovo tablet and Lenovo laptop, an ooold MS Surface Pro1 tablet (12 years?) and a middle-age (8 years?) Sony Vaio laptop in regular use. The Lenovos are on Win 11 and have been since they were able to upgrade. The Sony and Surface Pro are Win 10 and were also upgraded as soon as they'd let me. Neither is Win-11 capable, so I guess 10 is where they stop.

My experience is ..... no crashes, no data loss, no issues with any programs that ran on Win-8 or better, updates are done as-suggested and as often as possible and I don't diddle with the upgrades ..... I just let MS, Sony and Lenovo do as they wish.

cheers

Not yet, even my hardly used work desktop has an unsupported cpu or other hardware, so they need to replace it. My home computers are all older hardware as well, running linux, or are macs.

I have resisted as well. Having worked with computers my whole career, not loading the latest and greatest software until they get it more reliable, has always worked best for me. I learned to give them a year or two before using it, for them to get the kinks worked out. Of course, when installing software designed specifically for the application, that can't be done. But operating systems, it's best to avoid the new versions for a while. I let somebody else suffer. For a new level Windows, I might try it in a lesser important laptop next year, but not the main, or the backup laptops. They are too important for me, to be trying new things on.

I'm not a programmer. I'm a photographer and woodworker now, but spent most of my working career designing computer controlled high speed/high precision automation systems.

Charley

I don't have it. My sister just bought a new desktop and came loaded with it. She is not real good on computers, but she seems to be navigating alright. But, I will run Windows 10 until the support ends. My desktop will run 11, but I would have to modify a couple of things in the bios which does not tickle my fancy at all. I avoid things like that the same as if it's the plague or something. I'm running a Ryzen 7 5800 on a something Gigabyte motherboard and all is well with Win10. Don't fix what ain't broke.