with a lot of help from jon shively....

Dan Noren

Staff member
late last year, i came up with a wild idea of adding a coffee grinder, to go along with my salt and pepper mills. with the shop shut down for the winter, i needed to reach out to someone who could help, and that someone was jon. i picked up a bunch of ambrosia maple, for new salt and pepper mills, and 6 of the new coffee grinders. after talking it over with jon, we decided that it would be a good learning experience, for a couple of his best turning students. they did a very good job on the body, and base, and everything looks good. since it is a prototype, i had promised it to a customer from my etsy store (she bought one of my salt and pepper mill sets, and asked about coffee grinders). well, enough of that, the grinder showed up yesterday. here are the pics, in parts, together, and the family. once again, a big thanks to jon, and his students!
IMG_20220424_164142612.jpgIMG_20220424_163955833_MP.jpgIMG_20220424_170916789.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Dan. It isn't our first collaboration for a Family Member, but it was fun. Dan sent the beading tool and that was the first time I had used one (we always used a parting tool and skew combination). A few beading tools will be on my list for next year. I have some pictures of the turning of it, when I get time I will add them to this thread. I'm glad we could do it and I thought the young man (who finished it) did a wonderful job.

Once the beads were turned, correct diameter of the remaining portion of the top and the inset diameter of the hole for the mechanism turned, parting begins.

Coffee grinder being parted.jpgCoffee grinder being parted 1.jpg

And here we have the top parted off of the bottom. The bored hole was measured and drilled so the top and bottom line up because they were bored at the same time. Here we have the bottom with its bored hole and OD equals the OD of the beads. Next thing to do is turn the interior diameter of the bottom to accept the top portion of the coffee grinder.

Coffee grinder parted.jpg