Woo hoo!

John Pollman

I am ecstatic!
I can't believe it. I've been dreaming about this for years. We got the estimate yesterday and we were fine with the price (NOT cheap), but due to my disability, it's necessary. We signed the contract at about 1:00 yesterday, and they showed up at about noon today. Genny is set and plumbed. They'll be back on Friday to wire it. No more workshop delays due to power failures. 18KW and it will run the whole house when I need it. No extension cords!
🙂

Generac 1.jpg

Generac 2.jpg

Could have used one of those last night.... power dropped at 1 am... came back on at 7:30 am this morning.

My son just put one in a while back... he didn't hook up the detached garage and discovered that his water ran through the garage... they had a freeze at 3 degrees and a rolling power outage... he woke to water gushing from a wall in the garage and 2 inches of ice down the driveway.... he's on a community well and wound up having to shut off water to the whole neighbor hood while he fixed the leak as after an hour of looking for the house shut off.

Happy for your. Remembering the ice storm of 2009 I consider something like that to be a necessity. Some folks in my area were without electric for six weeks or more. At the time I had a small generator that helped a little. Got a bigger one later, but not whole house. We also have a small unvented gas heater that kept us warm during that outage. I don't like being dependant on utility companies or governments. If I were younger I would go with solar for electric.

I am ecstatic!
I can't believe it. I've been dreaming about this for years. We got the estimate yesterday and we were fine with the price (NOT cheap), but due to my disability, it's necessary. We signed the contract at about 1:00 yesterday, and they showed up at about noon today. Genny is set and plumbed. They'll be back on Friday to wire it. No more workshop delays due to power failures. 18KW and it will run the whole house when I need it. No extension cords!
🙂
We've had ours - a Generac 10KW - for about twelve years, and it's been great. Best 'save' was a two day outage at -12°, about six years ago. Had several neighbors spending nights on our livingroom floor that time. Recent outages have only been 5~6 hours. The longest one we've had was three days, but that was mid-Summer so the big benefit there was keeping the fridge and freezers running.

BTW, the 10Kw will run everything in the house except the air conditioner, but we have ceiling fans and seldom use the AC anyway. It doesn't run my shop or the hot tub, though.

Price-wise, twelve years ago it was about $3500, installed. Prices have skyrocketed since then.

Price-wise, twelve years ago it was about $3500, installed. Prices have skyrocketed since then.
I'm sure the wifi, monitoring, and cloud features have added a good amount of overhead. Not everyone uses them, but everyone gets to pay for them, one way or another that buys their equipment. ;)

The solar system I'm looking at should give us about 13kw on a good sunny day. The kit is about $15,500, but still have to add costs for wiring and other installation costs. At our current usage, we're looking at about a 3 - 4 year pay-back.

Frank does bring up a good point about ice storms. I'm sure that could reduce out output from the solar, but event at that, should support our critical power needs. The system allows for connection to utility power to charge the batteries or fail back to if solar and battery output is too low, can even connect up a generator to re-charge batteries if need be.

I have a little 8 KW portable unit. I have only used it once for about 4 hours about 12 years ago. Which reminds me I need to start it up and run it for a while.
Also don't forget to "excite" the generator portion. Many people with portable generators worry about keeping the gas engine running only to find out the generator isn't generating! Yes, I learned this the hard way.