Wood prices in Spain

I know this is a repeating theme that keeps appearing from time to time. But I have never been able to compare wood prices in Spain vs US.

I just happen to have bought some wood for the cabinet I am going to make and here are some wood prices. Note: wood in Spain is measured by the cubic meter (m3).
To make it easier to compare I have converted the prices to boardfoot.

1 m3 = 424 bf (423.77) I have rounded it up
1€ = 1.226$
1m3 Hard Maple 2268€ so 2268 / 424 = 5.35€ bf = 6.55$ + VAT(21%) 7.92$

1m3 European Oak 4600€ so 4600 / 424 = 10.85€ bf = 13.30$ + VAT(21%) 16.09$

1m3 US White Oak 2867€ so 2867 / 424 = 6.76€ bf = 8.28$ + VAT(21%) 10.01$

(I hope not to have made any mistake on the calculations).
To our living cost standards those are expensive prices, how do they compare to yours?

Last edited:
Sounds really high to me, based on the last time I went to my hardwood supplier - long before covid.

I am a bit of a hoarder of materials, wood being one of those materials.
Memory is horrible, but I think Maple was around $5 - $6 per board foot on the high side.

The basic (before VAT) price on the maple is about $2.00 more than I pay here.
I don't know anything about the European Oak, but am surprised that it's more than the imported White Oak.
The white Oak (before VAT) price is about $3.00 more that I pay locally.

The big difference is in the tax. I only pay 7.25% tax here in Ohio. Your VAT seems outrageous to us in the U.S. Do you also pay an income tax on top of the VAT?

The basic (before VAT) price on the maple is about $2.00 more than I pay here.
I don't know anything about the European Oak, but am surprised that it's more than the imported White Oak.
The white Oak (before VAT) price is about $3.00 more that I pay locally.

The big difference is in the tax. I only pay 7.25% tax here in Ohio. Your VAT seems outrageous to us in the U.S. Do you also pay an income tax on top of the VAT?

Yes we do, depending on how high your salary is it can go from 15% to 21% of your income. There are three VAT levels: 21%, 10% or 4% Food and first need items are taxed 4%, people transport, home renovations,and others 10% all the rest 21%

I guess that European oak is more expensive due to its scarcity, the wine industry is the highest consumer of oak wood.

So you can understand that wood is precious to me, and I have real problems in throwing away scraps. I also gather as much free wood as I can although it is mainly low quality pine wood or chipboard.

The last sale price on hard maple was $4.09 bd ft, White Oak was priced at $4.79 bd ft.

I can actually get it quite a bit cheaper (30% - 40%) if I go to a supplier up north, but have to buy 50 - 100 bd ft to make it worth the drive and gas cost. He also give a discount for anything over 100 bd ft.

Before VAT; hard maple would be close to that where I am (it's not local), oak is generally quite a bit cheaper maybe $4-6/bf for rough cut lower quality local stuff from a local miller more for higher quality pieces or special varieties (up to $7/8 last time I shopped at the fancy store a bit over a year ago). Soft maple I might get down to 3.00-4.00/bf if it's rough cut, S3S or S4S would cost more. Larger pieces tend to cost more than smaller (you want a slab.. better hold onto your wallet), professionally dried more than backyard dried, air dried walnut if more than kiln, but other wood tends to be dried is dried cost.

My neighbor had a paulownia tree growing on his fence line.... about 20 inches diameter... the local power company didn't like it growing under their power line, so the cut it down for him... he was planning on just burning it for firewood, but when I asked for some of it, he gave me the whole tree... it's great wood to turn, light weight and nice figuring, but requires a lot of sanding. I'm still working on that tree after about 4 years along with a number of others I've gathered...

My neighbor had a paulownia tree growing on his fence line.... about 20 inches diameter... the local power company didn't like it growing under their power line, so the cut it down for him... he was planning on just burning it for firewood, but when I asked for some of it, he gave me the whole tree... it's great wood to turn, light weight and nice figuring, but requires a lot of sanding. I'm still working on that tree after about 4 years along with a number of others I've gathered...
That wood is traditionally used here to make cabinets to keep silk kimonos in, the bugs that like to eat the silk don't like the paulownia wood.
I've never seen anything turned out of it, just flat work.
Nice get Chuck!

It's a pretty soft wood and turns very easy... the center of the tree is usually hollow... mine has about a 1-1 1/2 inch hold where the pith should be.
the turnings require a lot of sanding... every one I've tried comes out fuzzy and requires 60 grit through 600 grit to smooth out...

Tried to download a picture of one of my bowls, but keep getting a parse failure...

So you can understand that wood is precious to me, and I have real problems in throwing away scraps. I also gather as much free wood as I can although it is mainly low quality pine wood or chipboard.
For every piece of pine or chipboard you can use for sacrificial tasks that is a little money saved toward something else. I tend to hang on to scraps as well. I was able to pass along quite a bit of small, quality wood to a relative who has started the hobby so that worked out for both of us.