wooden bow ties

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, had to use up the thin off cuts of ambrosia maple somehow. cut the blanks (2 ties per blank), and sanded them to finished thickness on the drum sander. now i just have to finish sand, mark, and cut the bows, a little blo, and a nice, shiny top coat. got the strap adjusters today, and will pick up the strap material, and fabric for the knot tomorrow.
IMG_20201001_191939241.jpg

not often asked about my motive, but let's give it a whirl. the purpose, pure, unadulterated capitalism, christmas season is coming soon, and a unique gift idea (and possibly make some money). to use up scraps. nothing wrong with that, a rather good way of using good looking wood, rather than let them sit there gathering dust (and with the sales of all my salt and pepper mills from last year, the lumber for this is free). aren't all ties a form of decoration?
BxniAFXIYAAlbzC.jpg

started the ties on the cnc last night. had to stop cutting the tabs when my band saw blade snapped (never had that happen, almost had an accident, the whole surprise thing ya know...) got half of them freed before the blade went. ordered up 2 more of them today.
IMG_20201004_181807231.jpg