Woodland HM126 - Mods started

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
:woohoo:

Well, SWMBO, and I sat down the last few days discussing options and decided the HM126 would fit our needs. Our goal isn't to cut wood for other people, so I didn't really care much about having it mobile, so I didn't order a trailer. I did get the extended bed, the 14HP Kohler motor, and a few other accessories. I've held off on the blade sharpener as I think my wife's uncle has one and I may just buy more blades and send them out for sharpening anyway.

HM126-Sawhead-Middle.jpg

I need to finish clearing out the fallen down lean-to off the back of the barn, which is where I plan to put it. I believe there is a full slab of concrete under most of that area too. I'll pickup some lumber and work off the drawings on the Woodland site to build a stand for assembling it on.

Last edited:
:woohoo:

Well, SWMBO, and I sat down the last few days discussing options and decided the HM126 would fit our needs. Our goal isn't to cut wood for other people, so I didn't really care much about having it mobile, so I didn't order a trailer. I did get the extended bed, the 14HP Kohler motor, and a few other accessories. I've held off on the blade sharpener as I think my wife's uncle has one and I may just buy more blades and send them out for sharpening anyway.

HM126-Sawhead-Middle.jpg

I need to finish clearing out the fallen down lean-to off the back of the barn, which is where I plan to put it. I believe there is a full slab of concrete under most of that area too. I'll pickup some lumber and work off the drawings on the Woodland site to build a stand for assembling it on.
I know a couple of people who have bought these and are very pleased with them. My B.I.L. has one. The consensus about placing them seems to be to have any available predominant winds at your back to blow sawdust and exhaust fumes away from the operator whenever possible and to set the height of the track rails at about knee height for best compromise between loading and operating height.
cheers, have fun !!

I know a couple of people who have bought these and are very pleased with them. My B.I.L. has one. The consensus about placing them seems to be to have any available predominant winds at your back to blow sawdust and exhaust fumes away from the operator whenever possible and to set the height of the track rails at about knee height for best compromise between loading and operating height.
cheers, have fun !!
It will be behind the barn, which is very much in a wooded valley. No wind, may have to put up a big fan behind me. ;)
I ran across a couple of videos that probably apply to any mill. One was adding a line laser that rides at the level of the blade and show you just what you’ll be cutting, including dogs that are too high, along with the wood.

The other was this guys video showing his log turner, probably one of my second or third things to make for it., though a claw version with hydraulics may be considered.

I'll pickup some lumber and work off the drawings on the Woodland site to build a stand for assembling it on.

:dunno::dunno: You'll pickup some lumber??? Once you have your mill this will mean you have to go to the log pile or to the woods to that downed tree. I may sound the same, but will never mean or be the same!!! :eek: Congratulations! It was something I always wanted, but not picking up new things to do at this stage of the game. Really focusing on getting what I have so the grandkids and I can have productive days in the shop or barns. Not always moving something to get to something. Color me envious. An old buddy of mine that had a mill had a big mirror off of a dresser at the end of his mill attached to the wall. Said it helped him see where he was going. Understand I will be following closely. Even though I am not going to own a mill, have helped at a circular mill and at a band mill. They both have their place, sure get more wood and a more finished cut from a sharp band mill.

:dunno::dunno: You'll pickup some lumber??? Once you have your mill this will mean you have to go to the log pile or to the woods to that downed tree. I may sound the same, but will never mean or be the same!!! :eek: Congratulations! It was something I always wanted, but not picking up new things to do at this stage of the game. Really focusing on getting what I have so the grandkids and I can have productive days in the shop or barns. Not always moving something to get to something. Color me envious. An old buddy of mine that had a mill had a big mirror off of a dresser at the end of his mill attached to the wall. Said it helped him see where he was going. Understand I will be following closely. Even though I am not going to own a mill, have helped at a circular mill and at a band mill. They both have their place, sure get more wood and a more finished cut from a sharp band mill.
Yes, probably get some treated 6x6s for legs, rails, and cross bracing. I don’t want to set it up twice to get it to its final height. ;)

I like the mirror idea, probably will borrow that one. :thumb:

Awesome. It is on the wish list but pretty far down these days. I do have a saw at the shop that will push a 5 foot bar but it isn't near as easy as yours . Congrats

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Probably a wise choice to get the liftgate. The lift capacity of the loader is often quoted at the pin (no attachemnts). If that's the case, the forks or bucket could add a couple of hundred pounds. Plus, the higher lift number is usually at a lower height, the one with the loader fully raised it typically a lot less. All that may or may not be true of your JD; regardless, don't forget to put some weight on the backend before you try moving that saw. Now you have another assembly project on the list.

Last edited: