Woodland HM126 - Mods started

Weā€™ll, I ended up pulling the stumps where the log deck is to go today. And moving all the junk that was piled around them. I now have a mostly clean slate to start with. Still two hickory trunks on the front corner , which may just get trimmed at ground level.
FF6ED945-C722-456B-A9C4-A7388942EEC3.jpeg

There was a Hickory and two walnuts they all grew from seeds, so all had very large tap roots on them. The hickory took the longest as it had several downward growing roots. Here you can see the tap root was almost larger than the trunk above the ground.
E147A86D-B554-47A7-9BA6-BEB24CB56EDE.jpeg

Both the walnut roots spread out, some just under the soil, several about 2ā€™ down.
C9FCFFDB-B0E5-4990-89EA-230321D366F4.jpeg

So, in filling the holes where the roots were, I wasnā€™t paying attention to the backhoe and ended up pushing the mill about a foot on one end while backing up. Tomorrow I get to start squaring it up and leveling it again. :(

I still hope to throw a log on there though.

Weā€™ll, I ended up pulling the stumps where the log deck is to go today. And moving all the junk that was piled around them. I now have a mostly clean slate to start with. Still two hickory trunks on the front corner , which may just get trimmed at ground level.
View attachment 122415

There was a Hickory and two walnuts they all grew from seeds, so all had very large tap roots on them. The hickory took the longest as it had several downward growing roots. Here you can see the tap root was almost larger than the trunk above the ground.
View attachment 122416

Both the walnut roots spread out, some just under the soil, several about 2ā€™ down.
View attachment 122414

So, in filling the holes where the roots were, I wasnā€™t paying attention to the backhoe and ended up pushing the mill about a foot on one end while backing up. Tomorrow I get to start squaring it up and leveling it again. :(

I still hope to throw a log on there though.
Everyoneā€™s allowed one of those moves once in a while when doing tractor work. Hopefully nothingā€™s dented or twisted.
You are making progress.

Everyoneā€™s allowed one of those moves once in a while when doing tractor work. Hopefully nothingā€™s dented or twisted.
You are making progress.
Nothing dented, almost knocked the head unit off though. I got it moved back to about the same spot, but still need to string line it and level again. I ended up spending time working around the foundation of the little house and took longer than I had planned getting tree roots out. I need to call a concrete guy this week to see if I can get some quotes on a new pad for a guest house.

I did lack to post the sticker cutting from some rough cut 1 x 8s on hand.
EA6997B2-DEF9-45DC-A491-B670C5D051F5.jpeg

I cut these down to 18ā€ stickers to start the stacks.

I am addicted already, canā€™t wait to see what comes out of the next logs. ;)

itā€™s obvious I need to do some planning on the processing side and how to get things dried and how I plan to store or sell this stuff.

how I plan to store or sell this stuff

So some years ago I was visiting my cousin down on the coast and he was working on selling off an estate. The estate was from a fellow who had been sawing wood for 20+ years and never sold (or apparently used) a any of it. Some of it was REALLY BIG stuff.. so there were 20-25 year old air dried maple slabs 3-4' across and 15-20' long, huge pieces of walnut, burl slabs for days, myrtle wood bigger than any I've ever seen, a few stacks of redwood, it just went on and on.. This was on (if I'm recalling correctly) a 10 acre landing, I spent a while walking around and loaded up the SUV with some nicer burl pieces from the burn pile (yes.. really..). Alas I didn't have the means to load up any more of it.

Apparently the fellow just like running the mill and didn't care if he sold any, did it as sort of a retirement project.

I'm not saying that's what you should do, just that it's been done haha.

I was corrected by the local authorities: "over 20 acre landing".. yeah there was a lot of lumber.

Last edited:
I think that is why my buddy had the tall mirror standing at the end of his mill, he could see where he was going. He died a couple of years ago or else would ask him for you. A sawmill is one thing I always wanted and probably will never have. I have worked/helped at a couple and loved most of the time spent. My buddy built his own RR track using upside down angle iron and steel wheels with grooves in the middle. Had two carts, one all the trash went on it, rolled it farther up the track and rolled the next one up and put the slab wood on it and rolled it to the other end to load into customer's truck or his homemade solar kiln. Have fun, will live vicariously through you!