Workbench Router Table

glenn bradley

I have been telling myself to setup a temporary mini router table for some time. When I batch things like door frames, box lids, picture frames and such a second profile for the light work could save me some swap over time. We're not talking about anything production level, just a helping hand. I have the making for a second router table but have become selfish with my shop space and am unwilling to commit. A small table for the Bosh Colt seemed like the answer.

I have a spare router fence that dad used to use on his drill press but a shop made would do as well. I need four boards of equal thickness and with at least one perpendicular side and end.
Workbench Router Table (1).jpg
I use a hinge mortising bit. The bit diameter should match the plate's corner radius. This saves a lot of fussy fitting. I am making my own plate so I will just run the 1/2".
Workbench Router Table (2).jpg
Stick your plate on your top in the position you want it. Then double stick tape the boards as shown and remove the plate. This method is shown in many magazines and online sources so I won't get too detailed.
Workbench Router Table (3).jpg
I make my first pass shallow since I don't know this scrap laminated material that I was gifted. It seems to machine well.
Workbench Router Table (4).jpg

Workbench Router Table (5).jpg

Drill some access holes and jig saw out the center leaving a nice rabbet to hold the plate.
Workbench Router Table (6).jpg
Not my best jig saw work but a Shinto rasp takes care of that quick and easy.
Workbench Router Table (7).jpg . Workbench Router Table (8).jpg
I drill bolt holes at my dog hole spacing and cut dowels. The dowels are drilled slightly off center. This will make sense later.
I meant to mention that you can see I only used the very finest quality "whatever's on hand" plywood for the substrate.
Workbench Router Table (9).jpg . Workbench Router Table (10).jpg
cont'd . . .

Last edited:
I am using a funny shaped washer that I had in the misc. can for the underside of the bench.
Workbench Router Table (11).jpg
The trusty auto-adjust dado jig comes into play.
Workbench Router Table (12).jpg
It uses the material that is going to fit in the dado for setup so things always fit nicely.
Workbench Router Table (13).jpg
Here is an example of drilling the dowel hole slightly off center. This creates an eccentric fit. I twist the dowel untill it drops into the shallow counterbore, then twist back and it locks into place. This keeps them from dropping off while I am flipping the table over.
Workbench Router Table (14).jpg
Here's one of the washers and knobs in place.
Workbench Router Table (15).jpg
There will be a little structure under the table that will fight against the leverage of using the table.
Workbench Router Table (16).jpg
I will come back and show that because I am already late for something.
Workbench Router Table (17).jpg . Workbench Router Table (18).jpg
I think there is enough here for you to get the general idea.

I'm vaguely reminded of the veritas mini https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...table-system-for-compact-routers?item=05J6710

Although I have to say for convenience, accessibility, compactness, and general utility.. I think your version has theirs beat hands down.

I still have my "3/4 plywood ""router table""" which is really just a piece of plywood with a couple holes drilled into it.. wouldn't be that hard to upgrade it to something closer to this.. handy if I need a second small router hookup.. hmmm..

Very nice. I had a router table until a few years ago I used it as the base for my OX cnc machine. I don't really have a router table right now. I could really use something like this.

Hmm, I have a small Colt router and a very small space...
I was generous with the dimension of the top at 18" x 28". About 5" of the 18" dimension are taken up with support on the workbench top and dogs but allow for fence positioning. The 28" could be less up to the limit of what will work for you.