working on something for the wife...

Dan Noren

Staff member
originally she wanted a goblet, but there isn't enough time. so, we are going for a plaque, that will be laser engraved on hard maple, and have a picture laser engraved in the middle. there will be another one like it, for a nephew's lil one's first birthday. only the names and date will change.

Attachments

• 001 finalized frame design.JPG
    001 finalized frame design.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 49
since that ol' sneaky snake is still biting the laser, i'm going to have to send it to robert johnson for the good work. picked up the hard maple on friday, and cut the blanks oversize today, to be cut to finished size, and finish sanded on sunday, and out the door on monday.

Attachments

• 001 blanks for birthday signs.JPG
    001 blanks for birthday signs.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 18
cut the blanks to finished size, and sanded down to 220 grit. with robert benched, i'm going to have to learn the lightburn thing right quick. i like the way the last test came out. jarvis dithering, at 600 lines per inch. now i have to work on the other picture.

Attachments

• 002 blanks cut to size.JPG
    002 blanks cut to size.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 003 as good as i get with the picture.JPG
    003 as good as i get with the picture.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 25
  • baby bw.jpg
    baby bw.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 21
did this test at 600 lpi, came out pretty good, and the wife :blah: likes it. i will be testing out a different photo to take the first one's place, and see how it comes out. can't really see the faces in the first one.

Attachments

• 004 another test.JPG
    004 another test.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 19
with the laser up and running again, time to finish this one off (or so i thought). i thought that i would use lightburn for this one (need to learn lots more about this). got it all lined up, and ran the program. ran ok, but was a touch off. found out how to fix this from the lightburn people.

Attachments

• 006 what i got from the program.JPG
    006 what i got from the program.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 18
with the laser up and running, the running gear in shape, and ol' sneaky snake on vacation in georgia, it was time to take this one on, and finish it off. with a little more knowledge in hand from lightburn, and a few tests of the pictures to get the just right combination of lines per inch, and speed, the engraving was under way. i liked the way they turned out, and the wife :blah: just loved them. now it is time for a little boiled linseed oil, and shellac, to finish off this project.

Attachments

• 005 start of final engraving.JPG
    005 start of final engraving.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 006 first engraving finished.JPG
    006 first engraving finished.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 007 second engraving finished.JPG
    007 second engraving finished.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 19