Zucchini Chips

Don Baer

Staff member
One of the thing I miss on the Keto diet is gold ole fashion potato chips. Especially with my sandwich for lunch. I use Keto bread so why would I want to spoil it by adding carbs from potato chips. I saw a recipe for Zucchini chips so I figured I would give it a try. I took a small Zuchinni and sliced it thin on the mandolin then in a bowl I coated the chips with EVOO, sea salt and pepper. The I spread them out on a cookie sheet. And placed then in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.

20230218_152308.jpg
400 degrees for 25 minutes.. Not bad, not bad at all. Next time I'll try em in the air fryer.

Air fryer is the way to go. That's the only way we cook zucchini now. I crosscut them into about 1/4" rounds, drizzle EVOO on them, then add fajita seasoning and kosher salt. Let them rest while the air fryer is preheating and cook them at 400°F until they're browned a bit - about 20 minutes.

I know this would not be compatible with your Keto diet but zucchini chips made this way are to die for. We use the same recipe for oven fried okra.

Not much of a recipe really but all you have to do is slice your zucchini to thin slices on the mandolin and dredge them in a corn muffin mix dry. (We use Jiffy; we like the little bit of sweetness it adds.) They will only take up a little of the mix no matter how hard you try and that's fine. Shake off the excess and spread the chips out on a foil lined baking pan. We usually spray the foil with a little vegetable spray. Broil until they are as crisp and browned as you like.

We do exactly the same thing with thin cross cuts of okra. We much prefer okra "fried" this way than in oil. Ummm, ummm good!

Zucchini with melted cheese/green chili. Don't last around this household.
David
About the only way I really like zucchini is in a dish called calabacitas. It's corn, zucchini, green chile, and cheese. I suspect I could eat come of these zucchini chips y'all are talking about, too.

I started using Mike's sliced okra/jiffy mix recipe last year and it's great. Even got the missus to eat some and she hates okra. I'd be interested in an almond flour dredge version. Might have to experiment.

You know as a kid growing up in east Texas I had never heard of zucchini until I was grown, moved to California and married an Italian (actually half Italian) and I think she mentioned them a few times... after we separated and I moved to Novato on the north side of Golden Gate, I had both my kids living with me and my daughter wanted a garden...we planted zucchini... saw one on the vine one day, next day it was bigger than my arm.... I like the little ones much better.
Don't have a mandolin to slice them with, but gonna try the chips.

Change of subject, typing this post is a pain.... I have arthritis or something in my left hand... my pinky is numb and I can't feel the keys when I type... I do get some strange words every so often and have to go back and correct my typing. Driving gets to be "fun" too... my whole left hand will go numb after about 30 minutes .... I drive almost exclusively with my left hand and sometimes I have trouble feeling the steering wheel.

we planted zucchini... saw one on the vine one day, next day it was bigger than my arm.... I like the little ones much better.
The big ones are pretty good if you cut them in half length wise, hollow them out, and stuff them with rice and hamburger and tomato.. top with a little cheeze...

Chuck you may have cubital tunnel syndrome. It is similar to carpal Tunnel but it effects the pinky and ring finger. Talk to you MD it is a simple surgery to fix.

There are some exercises that can often help as well. A lot of us who spend all day on computers end up with some weird nerve issues.. Some of it is arm/hand related but sometimes it's caused by issues all the way up in the back and neck. This is especially bad if you have a head down or forward posture which puts a lot of strain on the upper spine and can lead to shooting pain and/or numbness down the arms and into the hands. I also have some tennis elbow issues and I've found that working some flexion exercises there helped a huge amount.

It's worth have a chat with a physio doc about it as sometimes you can mostly alleviate the issues just with a couple months of some exercises... and if there's something more serious going on it can be good to catch it before it gets to far (tendon adhesion, nerve damage, etc...).

Chuck you may have cubital tunnel syndrome. It is similar to carpal Tunnel but it effects the pinky and ring finger. Talk to you MD it is a simple surgery to fix.
I mentioned it to her at my last appointment... she did say it probably wasn't carpel tunnel, but not much else... I actually went to see her because I've been have some nerve pain in the leg that sent me to the hospital in June with internal bleeding...she was more concerned that my blood pressure was a little irratic and didn't really give me much on the leg... so far since, I've not had the sharp nerve pain I was having.

Ryan, I don't remember what we did with the huge zuch's in Novato, but Dianne and I had a garden for a few years here in TN... same issue with zuch...Dianne being the cook she was, she stuffed them with ground beef, or ground turkey or Italian sausage, depending on what we had in the house... or she made zucchini bread.

I reheated some left over shrimp * sausage jambalaya that I made a couple of days back... for a side I took a couple of small zucchinis, cut them quartered lengthwise, then chopped them into 1/2 inch chunks, sauted them in butter and olive oil, added a yellow pepper and a couple of little sweet red peppers....totally yummy.

It's worth asking if they can work up an exercise program for you, if not let me know and I can PM you a PDF of the one I got which .. may or may not be what's bothering you but probably won't hurt anything anyway.

I gotta say when it comes to zuchinni bread this is probably my favorite recipe. :D🎂